News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 Home No Longer Giving Offline Account Option

Posted on OlderGeeks.com Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Admin IT Lounge Windows 10 Home No Longer Giving Offline Account Option

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by

mn– 4 days, 17 hours ago.

• Author

OlderGeeks.com
      AskWoody Lounger

SOLVED:
      Win10 Home is no longer letting you setup an offline account on install if you connect to the Internet during setup regardless of build. You are forced to create a Microsoft Account & then you have to create a local account later & remove the Microsoft Account.

We’ve discovered that if you enter a bogus phone number in account screen, on the next screen you will see the offline account option.

Randy & Deanna

-OlderGeeks.com

OlderGeeks.com - No ads, no crapware, no b.s.

Attachments:
      6 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1874138 Reply

cmptrgy
      AskWoody Plus

Wow that is fantastic news for me.
      In June I set up a brand new Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL Windows 10 Home where I volunteer at our Senior Center.
      Although I wanted to create the primary account as an offline account, I was forced to create a Microsoft account.
      — I thought I had missed the page in which I could have selected Offline account and that isn’t likely for me to miss that option.
      Afterward I tried researching what happened and wasn’t able to find out that the option to create an offline account up-front isn’t available during an install.
      — I shouldn’t have been surprised though as too many times such researches don’t even address the issue at hand.

If the owner of that brand new Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL Windows 10 Home is willing to let me remove the Microsoft account, is there a tutorial on how to do that safely?
      EDIT: It just dawned on me I should explain why I’m asking that question since removing an account is easy enough to do. However my concern is that does removing a primary account make a difference?

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by
         cmptrgy.
      • #1874145 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

If it’s brand new, there probably isn’t much data on it.
        Back it up (image just in case) and a separate data backup.
        Do a Factory Restore offline and start over.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1874312 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

If the owner of that brand new Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL Windows 10 Home is willing to let me remove the Microsoft account, is there a tutorial on how to do that safely?

How to Switch to a Local Account from a Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1874164 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

However my concern is that does removing a primary account make a difference?

All new/clean installs of Windows should have at least one User with Administrative Rights [first one created during setup usually is] then other Users can be the same or Standard users that can’t make as many changes.  There is also the hidden Administrator that has the most rights and shouldn’t be routinely active, activate for a purpose then immediately deactivate when done.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

• #1874847 Reply

alQamar
      AskWoody_MVP

Hi there I would like to contribute to this topic. If you disconnect the internet connection while trying to setup the online account you get the offline account, too.

Same for these that do not trust Hello pin. I admit I use it because MS says it should be more secure as it is only locally saved and secured against changes with your online account and (if set) MFA.

However recently my Business account password expired (AD hybrid) and the PIN still let me logon to my W10 enterprise (Azure AD joined only).

After this event I am not so sure if this is really safer, as with the PIN I still had access to all “offline” files on the device. I wonder if this would even work if my on-prem account was locked out

• #1875063 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Yes, well, W10 Home is all kinds of a bother anyway.

Like the part where you want to add another local-only user account. Last time I checked the easiest way to get that done right was with “net user” and “net localgroup” commands from an elevated command prompt.

However recently my Business account password expired (AD hybrid) and the PIN still let me logon to my W10 enterprise (Azure AD joined only).

After this event I am not so sure if this is really safer, as with the PIN I still had access to all “offline” files on the device. I wonder if this would even work if my on-prem account was locked out

Well yes, there are some distinctly non-obvious implications with “alternate” authentication methods. One is that even if a password expires, it’s not a given that those alternate methods expire.

And an on-prem account that never gets updated from the on-prem server… well, traveling people should remember that the check with the on-prem server only happens when you do have a connection to the on-prem server while authenticating, normally.

People who in the office first open their laptops, log in, and only *then* connect to the docking station with the wired LAN… well…

• #1875486 Reply

b
          AskWoody Plus

Yes, well, W10 Home is all kinds of a bother anyway.

Like the part where you want to add another local-only user account. Last time I checked the easiest way to get that done right was with “net user” and “net localgroup” commands from an elevated command prompt.

Why not Settings, Accounts, Family & other people, Add someone else to this PC?

To Add a Local Account in Settings

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1875504 Reply

mn–
            AskWoody Lounger

Why not Settings, Accounts, Family & other people, Add someone else to this PC?

Oh I did try that too. The non-admin accounts created that way were unable to login. It’d pass authentication, work at it for a while and then error out, and back to login screen… nothing useful in event logs.

Admin accounts did work though.

Non-admin users in Home versions do have other problems too but…

• #1875471 Reply

anonymous

I have reinstalled using a downloaded 10 iso and found the Local account still an option, even with version 1903.  And I removed any OEM junkware.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1875476 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Home or Pro?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 Home No Longer Giving Offline Account Option

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.