News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 Home update 2019

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

gwilki 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

gwilki
      AskWoody Plus

I searched and read all the threads on how to delay updates to windows 10 Home 1809, but all those threads were months old and I had no problem until this week – April 2019.

I have set my ethernet connection on my desktop PC running 1809 to metered. I have unchecked allowing windows to update even when metered. Until this week, that seemed to delay updates until I unchecked the metered connection option, following advice from Woody.

However, two nights ago, that all changed. When I clicked to shut down my pc, I was given the options to update and restart, update and shut down, or cancel the shutdown.

Did something change in the past few days that make the advice to set connection to metered no longer valid?

Thank you

• #780627 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Have you checked your connections to be sure they are still metered?

Did you go into Settings>Update and Security and “check for updates?”
      Because what that really means is download and install whatever is there.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #782069 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

@gwilki

Please see this post on delaying/stopping Windows10 updates, it may be some help.

Win10 Home, 4 Update Stop/Delay Programs that work!

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #787484 Reply

gwilki
      AskWoody Plus

@pkcano:The settings are still set to metered and not to download while metered. I did not check for updates. I was shutting down my PC when I got the options that I described in my first post. Since I wanted to shut down, I had no choice but to allow the updates to download and install. After that, I checked and confirmed that the ethernet connection was still set to metered. (It is now, too.)

@bluetrix: I had seen a couple of those, but tks for your post. I knew that there were 3rd party applications that say they will stop the updates. I was just trying to find out if others had seen that the metered connection option that used to work is no longer working.

• #791227 Reply

Bluetrix
        AskWoody MVP

The settings are still set to metered and not to download while metered

For me, setting Wi-Fi and Ethernet settings to metered or changing .msc to disable updates did not work. At the best, you can only hope MS heeds those settings. Without fail my .msc settings reverted to default on restart. “Metered” settings were ignored, but at least it did stop MS from installing updates ’till I rebooted, or my time settings in Windows Update hit the “UN-busy” slot.

Windows Update will download updates with metered connection set, but will not install them until shutdown or restart, ymmv, but that has been my experience. I use Windows home version.

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

• #791855 Reply

gwilki
      AskWoody Plus

That’s good to know, Bluetrix. Maybe I assumed they were working, when really, there were no updates ready. Now that there are, I see that the settings are not working. As I am concerned about issues with the upcoming 1903 update, (from reading the newsletter), I will look into the 3rd party applications.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 Home update 2019

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel