News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 nad an SSD

Posted on CWBillow Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows 10 nad an SSD

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  joep517 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

CWBillow
      AskWoody Plus

I jut got a new laptop, and long with it I got a WD 500 gig external SSD.

Now, I don’t like sounding dumb, but:  If I plug that SSD into the USB port, shouldn’t it get assigned a letter and show up in My Computer?

It makes the sound of connecting, but it doesn’t show up in MC.

Edit:

So now I AM confused.  Since I have my “old” laptop, I fired it up and plugged in the WD SSD, and lo and behold, it immediately connected and took a letter.

So now I have no idea.  I have several other things plugged into the USB’s on the new machine, and they all work fine.  Just not the SSD — but it DOES work on my “old” laptop.

So now what?

Chuck Billow

• #1671619 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Fire up Disk Manager and see what it says about the external disk. It may just need to be initialized.

cheers, Paul

• #1674636 Reply

CWBillow
      AskWoody Plus

Paul, if I right-click on My Computer and select “Manage”, nothing happens.

Chuck Billow

• #1674750 Reply

CWBillow

I found the Disk Manager — r-click on start menu — so:

It showed the SSD with some 465 gigs but r-clickon on that showed used space and available space at 0.

Format?

• #1674760 Reply

CWBillow

Paul, I got it.  In Disk Management, r-clicking on the drive had “Change Drive Letter” and it was there that I selected the letter and then/now it shows in My Computer.  Didn’t even have to format.  For some reason it just didn’t automatically “take a letter.”

• #1675054 Reply

BATcher
      AskWoody_MVP

You’d have been better off having the SSD installed inside the laptop than having an external one…!

BATcher
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1745325 Reply

CWBillow
      AskWoody Plus

Guys, I just finished moving my O/S from the SSD that came with my laptop, to my Samsung 1TB SSD.

Worked without a hitch, and what a difference!

Chuck Billow

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1745329 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

Good for you Chuck. Thanks for letting us know.

--Joe

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 nad an SSD

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.