News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 Photo app. Albums

Posted on jim Tapley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows 10 Photo app. Albums

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Elly 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

jim Tapley
      AskWoody Lounger

Is there any way to rearrange photos in an album. I tried click and drag like you can do in a file or in the old Photo gallery that’s no longer available, but it doesn’t work in Windows 10 Photo App ?

• #1421483 Trash | Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

A stable method is renaming the image files in an alphabetical or numerical manner but that can be time consuming.  Have you tried a different software such as IrfanView, GIMP or some thing similar?  I use http://www.majorgeeks.com when looking for programs that may work.

I found this but haven’t checked it out:

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Windows-Photo-Gallery

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

• #1421841 Trash | Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

W10 Photo app “Albums” view is a series of automatically-created photo albums, organized according to the Photo app’s internal logic. You can add your own album, and remove or add photos to existing albums… but you cannot order the photos within an album.

If the old Windows Photo Viewer did what you wanted, you might be able to access it by finding an image on your computer with File Explorer and right-click on it. Select Open With, then Choose another app. If Windows Photo Viewer isn’t listed, click on More apps and you might see it there. If it doesn’t show up this way, it needs a registry tweak to make it reappear. I don’t do registry tweaks, but you might check the instructions on MajorGeeks, and/or use the free program Restore Windows Photo Viewer, also found on that site.

The ‘PictureReflect Photo Viewer’ is available for free, is available in the Windows Store, but includes in-app purchases (advertising). However, it doesn’t attempt to organize your photos like the W10 Photo app, using your existing file system instead… so you could create a folder named Album I, and organize it as you see fit.

You might take the time to learn how to organize and edit your photo files with a full sized, specialized program like FastStone Image Viewer. I especially like using tags because I only need one copy of the photos on the hard drive (I have backups, of course). If you take the time to utilize tags, you can quickly access, sort, and organize photos in multiple ways (ex- people, holidays, locations, etc) as you are inspired to use them. Especially good for situations where friends have divorced, and the ex-wife doesn’t want to see the ex-hubby (and vise-versa) but each wants to see pics of their kids and themselves at family gatherings. FastStone has 150+ transition effects for slideshow creation, as well as music support, if you really want to wow your family. I started slowly, just editing to remove red-eye, then doing a little cropping… but now I’ve figured out how to use many more photo editing tools, making my photos look much better, as well as being able to to organize.

So… those are some ideas you might try. Your choice depends on what you want to actually do… 🙂

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #1422148 Trash | Reply

Elly
        AskWoody MVP

Oops- left out that you can still download Windows Live Essentials from MajorGeeks, and that has Windows Gallery in it, if that is the program you were already comfortable using.

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 Photo app. Albums

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.