News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 Pro compatibility with Windows 7 Pro Application programs etc.

Posted on Mark2019 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows 10 Pro compatibility with Windows 7 Pro Application programs etc.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mark2019 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Mark2019
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello,

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 10 Professional. My current Windows 7 Professional PC has everything I currently use on a daily basis.  I need to transfer ALL software programs and data over from Windows 7 Pro PC to my newly purchased Windows 10 Professional PC operating system. What best method do you recommend to check compatibility of Windows 7 Pro application software programs with Windows 10 Pro operating system and what best transfer method should I use to transfer everything over from Window 7 Pro PC to new PC with Windows 10 Professional?? Please advise.

In years past, Microsoft had Windows Easy Transfer software program that checked Windows XP application software programs compatibility with Windows 7 Pro operating system before all programs and data were transferred over to Windows 7 Pro PC. I did have some Windows XP software application programs that did not function within the Window 7 Pro operating system.   Please advise on Windows 7 Pro application programs and data transfer to new PC with Windows 10 Pro operating system.

Mark

• #1858107 Reply

Lars220
      AskWoody Lounger

Following below are some links that may be worthwhile to review, it looks like Microsoft discontinued the ‘Windows Easy Transfer’ wizard, but the Tom’s Hardware link has an interesting work-around. I do not think it actually transfers programs themseleves, but take a look at the How-to Geek article link for compatibility type information. Hope this helps:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-transfer-windows-7-files-to-windows-10.3272721/

https://www.howtogeek.com/219782/is-windows-10-backwards-compatible-with-your-existing-software/

Windows-Easy-Transfer

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1861400 Reply

Mark2019
        AskWoody Lounger

Subject: Windows Easy Transfer Program not working in my Windows 7 Professional computer

Hello,

The Windows Easy Transfer Program within my Windows 7 Professional in not working. Every time I select or open Windows Easy Transfer program I get the following message dialog box: You’re currently logged on using a temporary profile. Restart your computer and try again.

I have tried numerous times to open Windows Easy Transfer Program including as an administrator without success. I have restarted computer several times. I get the same response as follows: You’re currently logged on using a temporary profile. Restart your computer and try again.

What is the best way to repair or get Windows Easy Transfer Program working normally.

Please advise.

• #1861410 Reply

anonymous

? says:

first hit on goog:

Troubleshooting: Windows Easy Transfer and temporary profiles

“To resolve the problem, open Registry Editor and navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and look any profiles that end with .bak and delete these.  Then restart your computer and run Easy Transfer again and it should work.”

uh huh, maybe…

• #1864473 Reply

Mark2019
            AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for your response. Shame on Microsoft for disabling Windows Easy Transfer. I will investigate this further at a later date since this involves deleting registry entries. I need to backup and create a system restore point before removing these .bak files.

• #1858264 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

What best method do you recommend to check compatibility of Windows 7 Pro application software programs

I don’t think you should worry about compatibility as from my experience there is none.
      Some months ago I purchased a new Windows 10 PC after my Windows 7 PC died.
      I haven’t encountered any compatibility problems with any of the software apps both Portable and none portable I use.
      I use C drive for the OS and D drive for the data (include software, licenses and other data).
      I had full image backup of my Windows 7 (still do). I just copied and reinstalled the software that needed installation, and copied the portable apps as well.
      Everything runs as it did on Windows 7.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 Pro compatibility with Windows 7 Pro Application programs etc.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.