News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 problems are ruining Microsoft’s reputation

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 problems are ruining Microsoft’s reputation

This topic contains 18 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 1 month ago.

• Author

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 problems are ruining Microsoft’s reputation – and the damage can’t be understated

Reputation deflation is the path to damnation…
      Microsoft dreams of a future where its cloud empire dominates – in the computing and business world, as well as game-streaming – and subscription revenue pours in at such a gushing rate that the accountants can barely keep track of the ever-spiralling-upward numbers,

But, the software giant’s current slumbers are more likely to be dogged by nightmares rather than any sweet dreams of a heavenly cloud-based future. Microsoft’s sleep is probably haunted by visions of poisonous little bugs skittering in the shadows, clustering around the occasional hulking queen of a showstopper that threatens to shred user files in her chitinous mandibles.

Yes, we’re talking about Windows 10, which in recent times has been plagued by an alarming amount of bugs….

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/windows-10-problems-are-ruining-microsofts-reputation-and-the-damage-cant-be-underestimated

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Pim

anonymous

Hi Alex, I notice you post about Kaspersky, and I love their products. I am of those forced to switch out of ‘Windows 7’ near the end of the year. Can you please tell me what steps I could take to most successfully transition with Kaspersky to a newly bought ‘Windows 10’ PC? For example, how to turn off *all* of Window’s preloaded “security” and position Kaspersky in place with no limitations for Kaspersky’s software? Thank you!

PKCano
        Da Boss

Your subject would be off-topic in this thread.
        Please create a new topic under your version of Win10 and state your question in the title.
        Thanks.

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

The problem with such an article is that for every bug listed, a miniscule subset of users actually has the bug.

I get that it’s cool to hate on Windows 10, I used to be the same way.

However since 1703 and now up to 1903, Win10 has been trouble free and bug free 100% of the time for me. I’m not saying that’s everyone’s experience, but I will make the assumption that it is the experience of the majority otherwise we’d hear more about the bugs. I haven’t personally seen Win10 bugs since the 1607 days.

That being said, Microsoft does have plenty of faults now. Their patches have been troublesome (at best) and downright destructive in some cases. However even in those cases, it’s generally still a small subset of people. If 900 million devices are running Win10, the subset of people with issues mathematically is less than 1%.

It’s easy to forget that when bashing the company or the product. But regardless, they’re still doing some things right, eventually, if the affected userbase is <1%.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

I am happy you hadn’t had an issue with it

however remember, if everyone  is saying there is a reason to not trust windows, they must have a powerful reason

I highly doubt they do it to look “cool”

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.

b
          AskWoody Plus

Everyone is not saying that. Microsoft software had a customer satisfaction rating of 77% in the ACSI report featured in this article.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

Zaphyrus
            AskWoody Lounger

I mean here, B, and by everyone  I mean the ones that keep us informed here.

Zaphyrus
              AskWoody Lounger

and every unwilling brave tester that has installed Windows 10 patches and reported and informed us here

What I want to say is that indeed, Windows 10 is more stable than previous versions of W10 however you can’t deny that there is a great risk by installing this patches  since they aren’t heavily tested like they were in Windows 7,  (when I was using Windows 7, I was like Zero dash and even had automatic updated enabled in Windows 7 and I never encountered an issue) But with Windows 10 on other hand  I had always a monthly issue, until I started to get informed of what was being installed in my computer

So to not make this long:  Microsoft needs to work harder to regain the trust it lost with W10, at least mine for now

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Zaphyrus.

b
              AskWoody Plus

and every unwilling brave tester that has installed Windows 10 patches and reported and informed us here

Oh, well that would include me. And I don’t have a reason not to trust Windows. So not “everyone”.

(I’m just installing the second cumulative update in two days for version 1909, and I’m confident that everything will work just fine when it’s finished.)

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

MrJimPhelps
              AskWoody_MVP

You can’t really know how good or bad Windows 10 is until you install it and then try it out for yourself.

I used to be opposed to Windows 10 until I tried it out for myself. I am not only a user of Windows 10, but also a supporter of Windows 10. So I know it from both sides of the equation.

I have found Windows 10 to be a pretty good system. There is a glitch here and there which I don’t like, but in general I consider it a solid operating system.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
              with Windows 8.1 running in a VM

Zaphyrus
              AskWoody Lounger

In my case I am a user of windows 10, in fact I am using it to write this message, that is why I dare to say all of this.

I prefer playing the safe way rather than making a risk

MrJimPhelps
              AskWoody_MVP

In my case I am a user of windows 10, in fact I am using it to write this message, that is why I dare to say all of this.

I prefer playing the safe way rather than making a risk

I apologize for misunderstanding. I respect your opinion of W10 as someone who has actually used it.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
              with Windows 8.1 running in a VM

cptomes
      AskWoody Plus

The problem with such an article is that for every bug listed, a miniscule subset of users actually has the bug.

I get that it’s cool to hate on Windows 10, I used to be the same way.

However since 1703 and now up to 1903, Win10 has been trouble free and bug free 100% of the time for me. I’m not saying that’s everyone’s experience, but I will make the assumption that it is the experience of the majority otherwise we’d hear more about the bugs. I haven’t personally seen Win10 bugs since the 1607 days.

That being said, Microsoft does have plenty of faults now. Their patches have been troublesome (at best) and downright destructive in some cases. However even in those cases, it’s generally still a small subset of people. If 900 million devices are running Win10, the subset of people with issues mathematically is less than 1%.

It’s easy to forget that when bashing the company or the product. But regardless, they’re still doing some things right, eventually, if the affected userbase is <1%.

we’re not talking about personal use machines at the homes of sysadmins – of course those are most likely to be least trouble prone of the entire pc universe since managers and bean counters aren’t telling you to ignore best practices.

we’re talking about average (non it professional) users’ machines, or desktop machines in enterprises that have just a few overworked underappreciated overstressed underpaid sysadmins struggling to keep the ships afloat and the rats at a minimum.

Hey look! Another Feature Update!

You mean I shouldn't click Check for Updates?

Why does it keep saying "Something Happened"?

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Desktop Operating System Market Share Worldwide – September 2019
      Windows    79.1%
      OS X            14.37%
      Unknown     3.31%
      Linux             1.74%
      Chrome OS  1.48%
      FreeBSD        0%

Here’s the Windows version breakdown:

StatCounter-windows_version-ww-monthly-201809-201909-2

One simple question.  Why doesn’t either Linux or Apple rule the world of desktops?  Worldwide?  Linux rules the internet (the back-end, anyway), but not the desktop, even though it’s free.

The sky is not falling on everyone.  The problems are not nearly as widespread as some would have us believe, Windows 10 market share continues to grow, and Microsoft continues to count profits in billions of dollars.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes (Windows updates are system changes), in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
      "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Dew

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  bbearren.
      • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  bbearren.
      Attachments:

anonymous

b and bbearren are correct. I know people with Microsoft stock and they are happy. I know people with Windows 10 and (sigh) they are happy. I asked my friend who runs Windows 7 to ask his friends running Windows 10 what they think and the report back is the same as what I got, “they are happy”.

When I talk about the security and privacy issues with Windows 10, I almost get the “rolling of the eyes look” and they don’t seem all that worried.

The fact of the matter is we who are technical or private or security minded are the ones having a bad time with patches and/or have a bad overall opinion of Windows 10. I don’t like Windows 10 either, but what can I say to those who have it and say “it seems fine to them”?

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

“Fine, as compared to what?”

Microsoft software had a customer satisfaction rating of 77% in the ACSI report featured in this article.

Really, customer satisfaction … hah. I wonder how many of those in the survey are dealing directly with Microsoft (including dealing with all the technical issues), and how many are getting Microsoft products tweaked by someone else who isn’t counted at all?

I mean, the things we do to make Windows sort of behave… where do they count in that survey?

(This goes in the same category as a lot of statistics… easy to lie with, and even easier to accidentally measure something other than what you wanted even if you tried to be honest with it … I’ve dealt with these enough to not have much confidence left in such.)

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

Such is the world in which we live. Chrome is the most popular browser, and Android is the most popular mobile OS, and I wouldn’t use either of them because of the privacy issues, and the same goes for all of those Alexa and similar devices.  If people want to get in line to be monetized by a product that costs money to use, I can’t stop them.

The part that really gets me is that Windows 10 could be a spectacular OS if they would just design it to the standards of previous versions, which is to say to serve the needs of the owner of the PC upon which it runs, without monetizing or trying to usurp any of the owner’s control over that PC.

There are a lot of different reasons people dislike Windows 10, but for me, it’s never been about the bugginess of patches, perceived or actual.  I’ve never had any issues in the relatively short amount of time I have used 10… it’s run just as it was designed, every time.  That’s not enough.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.3).

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

I have been using Windows since versions 95 through 7 and I can’t remember any serious problem caused by careful patching, which includes waiting to install patches while asking around and searching the Web, now and then, for comments from people complaining about them and then trying to figure out how likely it is that their problems could be mine as well. For example, repeated complaints that the latest patches are causing BSOD galore when trying to start PlayerGame xxxx is of no concern to me, as I don’t play computer games either alone or with others. I play cards with other people, provided we all are in the same room and around the same table. And talk to each other by using the vocal apparatus we were born with.

What bothers me about Windows 10 and has driven me away from it is that, for what I absolutely have to use computers: developing data-analysis software, testing it and installing its executables in machines used for the scientific and engineering research projects I participate in — for that — it is the fast pace of “upgrades” of the OS to new versions  I don’t have a need for, but would need to do something about anyways and without resorting to helpful workarounds that are appropriate for professional System Administrators to make, but no for me. I don’t take care of computers, I use them as mere tools necessary to get my work done without extraneous interruptions. I need a stable system, where my scripts and programs will run when needed and without having to stop what I am doing to revamp them to fit the requirements of a new, unneeded and unasked for OS version dropped on me, because some total strangers have decided that doing this is a great idea.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

The fact of the matter is we who are technical or private or security minded are the ones having a bad time with patches and/or have a bad overall opinion of Windows 10.

Not all of us.  I have most of the telemetry blocked.  I have a leave-no-trace internet regimen.  I have Task Scheduler run Image For Windows to make weekly drive images of my three main partitions on my daily driver desktop.  For my NAS I have a weekly full drive image, as well as for my laptop.

As for technical, visit my web site.  On the B side of my dual-boot daily driver desktop I’m running this setup. and it is quite well behaved.  It does block upgrades, but not updates.  As I have stated elsewhere, for me Windows 10 is the most stable and efficient version of Windows yet, and it keeps getting better.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes (Windows updates are system changes), in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
      "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Dew

The topic ‘Windows 10 problems are ruining Microsoft’s reputation’ is closed to new replies.