News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 System Image

Posted on mbernold Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows 10 System Image

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mledman 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

mbernold
      AskWoody Plus

i am replacing a 300 gb hard disk drive with a 5oogb  disk  drive.

will i have any problem in restoring the system image i took of the 300gb drive onto the new 500gb drive?

i created the system image using the built in tools of windows 10 pro.

• #2110511 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

I’ve not used the Windows backup program, but with all the 3rd party backup apps I’ve used you get an option to use all the disk when restoring. Never had an issue choosing that option.

cheers, Paul

• #2110690 Reply

anonymous

I am making my first system image on an external hard drive. Which file system should I select when formatting – NTFS or exFAT?

I have read that NTFS is the file system used by Windows operating systems , so this would seem like the logical system choice if this is true. This would also seem to imply that exFAT would be the choice for data backups to a different external drive. Thanks.

• #2110696 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You should not need to format the external disk – they come pre-formatted.

NTFS is a more reliable file system than exFAT and as it’s a backup…

cheers, Paul

• #2110769 Reply

mledman
      AskWoody Plus

If it’s any help, I used the windows 7 built in tool to move windows 7 from a 1TB HDD to a 500 GB SSD.

Win 10 home - 1909
      Attitude is a choice...Choose wisely

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 System Image

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.