News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 Task Manager questions

Posted on 4marktgtech Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody Central Getting started Windows 10 Task Manager questions

Tagged: 

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        4marktgtech
        AskWoody Lounger

How can i determine the functions of processes in Win 10 task manager and which can i delete? i can see that over 40% of memory is already allocated for many processes. I realize that I have resident apps like Norton, Screen print, etc. but others I cannot determine why they are there. Ex. “Your Phone”, “Xbox” Feedback Hub”.

Any good Win 1o current reference book(s)?

• #2269875 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Check Services in control panel >administrative tools

If you don’t use certain programs/apps attributed to a service, you could set the option to ‘manual’ instead of ‘automatic’ / ‘automatic (delayed)’ Once happy with what has been changed, restart the system and then check your task manager.

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
      • #2269919 Reply
        Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Any good Win 1o current reference book(s)?

(Note: To save me typing ‘IMO’ over and over again, everything that follows is just a personal opinion.)

Windows 10 is a swiftly-moving target so it’s difficult for technical authors to keep up. Given publication lead times, any ‘current’ *printed* reference book is not going to stay current for long and even online versions are going to struggle to keep current. That’s the nature of ‘the last version of Windows’ and the subsequent benefit of forums like AskWoody

Looking at Task Manager, CPU usage is usually more important to overall performance than Memory, provided your device has *at least* 4GB RAM. Windows’ memory management is quite good these days so don’t worry about Windows using just 40%. That’s the whole point of RAM… it’s there to be used as an alternative to offloading to temporary storage (think ‘swap file’). If, however, Memory usage regularly spikes to 100% and stays there… then you need to investigate. Be aware that – like CPU usage – Memory usage will peak just after bootup/sign in for several minutes – possibly 5-10 minutes whilst Windows 10 does its housekeeping checks.

One unfortunate aspect of Windows 10 is that MS now not only includes ‘everything AND the kitchen sink’ but – with apps – also turns many of them on to run in the background… even though you may not know what they are or may never, ever use them. You actually mentioned one as a prime example – Your Phone.

It varies from version to version of Windows 10 (you didn’t mention which version/edition you’re using) but – for example – Windows 10 Home 1909 includes 29 built-in apps that are all set to run in the background.

I don’t use a single one of them… but I do know that everytime I boot the device and sign on, all 29 apps will begin working in the background and checking back with MS to see if they need updating (according to MS)… and THAT is one of the main reasons CPU and RAM is affected for the first ~5-10 mins after bootup/sign in.

Have a look at Start > Settings > Privacy > Background apps. (Alternatively, just copy this command – ms-settings:privacy-backgroundapps – then use Windows key+r to show a Run dialog and enter the command.)

So… where do YOU go from here? I suggest you first tell us what *version* (1903/1909/other?) and *edition* (Home/Pro/other?) of Windows 10 you are using. That’ll give us more info about what to advise further. You can find this info using Windows key+r then typing winver (and pressing the RETURN/ENTER key or OK button).

You could also mention your level of Win 10 knowledge (although this is more difficult to quantify) so suggestions are posted back at an appropriate level. Are you looking for simple/step-by-step advice, automated (possibly third-party) solutions or just technical advice? (This is, admittedly, a difficult issue which I’ve never known a single forum to sort successfully.)

Hope this helps…

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2270024 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

they are there. Ex. “Your Phone”, “Xbox” Feedback Hub”.

These and many bloated Microsoft apps are starting with your Windows 10.

Start by deleting these apps using 3rd party apps like Debotnet, SharpApp, Windows 10 Apps Manager, Windows 10 O&O AppBuster… Block Microsoft Store from background updates.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 Task Manager questions

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.