News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Windows 10 Update Process

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » Windows 10 Update Process

Author
    Topic

Hi Folks,

I’ve built a new computer and installed Windows 10 Pro 21H1 with the October updates.

I’ve been using an older version of Windows 10 so before I connect the new PC to the internet, I want to be sure I’m in complete control of updates. Basically I want a list of available updates with no automatic downloading or installing until I select which ones I want.

To this end, I’m planning to do the following:

1. In the Group Policy Editor, enable “Configure Automatic Updates” and set it to “2 – Notify for download and auto install”
    2. use wushowhide to select the ones I want to install
    3. Use Susan’s master patch list to determine which updates are safe to install

Will this plan control the update process the way I want and avoid surprise updates? Is wushowhide even needed if I don’t really want to hide anything?

Also, I’m going to install Office 2021. Will Office updates appear on the list of available updates or is that a separate process?

Thanks for your help.

– eljay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Windows 10 updates are cumulative so you just jump to the October Windows 10 update and install that.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Windows 10 updates are cumulative so you just jump to the October Windows 10 update and install that.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear.  I already have the October updates installed.   I’m looking for a process for future updates to make sure only the ones I select are installed.

Well since you are a plus member wait for me to let you know 🙂  In the Windows 10 era you can’t skip cumulative updates. About the only ones I skip are consumer only patches that I don’t feel are necessary.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Also, I’m going to install Office 2021. Will Office updates appear on the list of available updates or is that a separate process?

Separate.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1387 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Will this plan control the update process the way I want and avoid surprise updates? Is wushowhide even needed if I don’t really want to hide anything?

Absolutely; I use this exact method and I’m in full control of Windows Update and what downloads/installs.

Also in Group Policy – you may wish to enable Do not include drivers with Windows Update. Personally, any drivers I need I prefer to get from the source as opposed to letting MS do it for me.

To ensure you stay on 21H1 until you decide otherwise, at the top of the Windows Update section in GP as above, there is a another ‘folder’ called Windows Update for Business. Within there, open Select the target Feature Update version, enable it and then enter Windows 10 and 21H1 in the top and bottom fields, respectively.

This will prevent any later Feature updates (such as 21H2 when it becomes generally available).

Within wushowhide, I’d recommend hiding KB4023057 if and when it rears its head. It comes around every few months, and is not a required update though MS keeps pushing it. Another recent update I’d suggest hiding is KB5005463 which again is not needed. Hope this helps.

Yes, this helps a lot.  Just what I was looking for.  And I appreciate the extra info you included about settings and wushowhide.

Thanks very much.

If you want to uninstall KB5005463 (PC Health) and KB4023057 (Microsoft Update Health Tools) you can do it from Add/Remove Programs.

Windows 10 Home 21H1, non-techie

Thanks for the tip.  If those suckers sneak by I’ll know what to do.

About the only ones I skip are consumer only patches that I don’t feel are necessary.

Susan
      How does one skip ‘consumer only patches’ if the patches are cumulative ?
      Maybe I have been missing something here. (not unusual 😐)

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    Reply To: Windows 10 Update Process

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.