News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Windows 10 USB recognition

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows 10 USB recognition

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        peterhb24
        AskWoody Plus

I have a HP Spectre laptop running Windows 10 Pro (W10 1803 ,1734,590).

This has one conventional USB port and two USB C ports. One of the C ports is used for power and charging.

I recently purchased a wireless weather station which ‘talks’ to a slave tablet with summary weather info. The tablet is connected with a USB cable. When I use my HP laptop I get ‘USB not connected’ no matter haw I connect it or which type of USB port I use.

If I set this up on an alternative PC running Windows 7 Pro then everything works fine.

I have tried loads of ‘remedies’ from the Web like reinstalling USB ports, installing new drivers, but nothing works. It seems to be specific to this laptop and/or the installed version of Windows 10 . Any alternative ideas gratefully received.

Peterhb24

anonymous

From my USB errors experience, get a very bright flashlight and examine the contacts inside the cable’s connectors and the HP laptop’s ports.

Lugh
        AskWoody_MVP

Could it be your HP laptop only has USB2 ports, and the weather station needs USB3, which you have in your desktop?

Do other USB devices work in the laptop?

When you look in the laptop’s Device Manager & scroll to the bottom to the USB Controllers section & expand it, do any of the list show a problem icon—question mark or red X?

Lugh.
        ~
        Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
        i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Windows 10 USB recognition

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.