News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10, version 1909 is available for any user

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Windows 10, version 1909 is available for any user

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Current status as of January 21, 2019:
      Windows 10, version 1909 is available for any user on a recent version of Windows 10 who manually selects “Check for updates” via Windows Update. The recommended servicing status is Semi-Annual Channel.

We are starting the next phase in our controlled approach to automatically initiate a feature update for an increased number of devices running the October 2018 Update (Windows 10, version 1809) Home and Pro editions,..

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1909

• #2100129 Reply

KYKaren
      AskWoody Plus

Can someone explain what “Semi Annual Channel” means? I am using version 1903 now. I remember seeing something in Settings about SAC in an earlier version of Windows 10, I think under Advanced Options, but now when I go to Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update>Advanced Options now, this is what I see (attached image). Nothing is there about Semi Annual Channel now.  Windows-Update-Advanced-Options

So, it looks like I am not on the Semi-Annual Channel.  If not, what delivery channel am I on?

Offline: Win7Pro ∙ SP1 ∙ x64
      Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-6500U ∙ RAM 12GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender
      Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-8565U ∙ RAM 16GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender

Attachments:
      • #2100136 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

There used to be two designations: Semi-Annual Channel and Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted). The (Targeted) designated that the PC would recieve optional non-Security updates between Patch Tuesdays Security updates, while SAC received only the Security patches.

Microsoft now delivers the optional updates through a “download and install now” link in Windows Update and has discontinued the (Targeted) designation, hence no longer the necessity for the one remaining designation of Semi-Annual Channel. The pulldown was absent as of v1903.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2100179 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Can someone explain what “Semi Annual Channel” means?

So, it looks like I am not on the Semi-Annual Channel.  If not, what delivery channel am I on?

Feature updates for Windows 10 are released twice a year, around March and September, via the Semi-Annual Channel.
        Windows 10 release information

All Windows 10 computers are on the Semi-Annual Channel, unless registered for the Windows Insider Program which gets more frequent feature updates as preview builds, or the Enterprise Long-Term Servicing Channel which never gets any automatic feature updates (and has to be re-installed every 2 to 10 years).

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2100235 Reply

KYKaren
      AskWoody Plus

But in the Windows 10 Release Information, the term “Semi Annual Channel” is used.  So, if I   ( i.e., a non-Windows-Insider-Program user using version 1903) understand the replies up to this point, :

• Feature Updates (i.e., new versions) arrive via the Semi-Annual Channel with the “Download and install now” link.
      • Monthly Tuesday Patches (not new versions, just updates of the current version) arrive via the Semi-Annual Channel with “Check Updates” button.
      • Just ignore the term “Semi Annual Channel” because it doesn’t exist anymore as a non-Insider and using versions 1903 and above.

Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-6500U ∙ RAM 12GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender
      Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-8565U ∙ RAM 16GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  KYKaren.
      • #2100240 Reply

KYKaren
        AskWoody Plus

so happy to see the edit link appear now.

• #2100250 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Just ignore the term “Semi Annual Channel” because it doesn’t exist anymore as a non-Insider and using versions 1903 and above.

The term still exists, to distinguish the majority of us from the Insider Preview and Long-Term minorities.

But not within our settings any longer from 1903 onwards as there’s no alternative for most users.

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2100289 Reply

KYKaren
        AskWoody Plus

There are so many IFs, ANDs. ORs, and BUTS/WHENs for almost all understandings of how Windows 10 works. So, let’s be more precise about it:  Here’s a revision of point 3.

• IF a non-Insider OR non-Enterpriser WHEN using versions 1903 and later, just ignore the term “Semi Annual Channel” because it doesn’t exist anymore for those users of those versions.

• #2100294 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

For all practical purposes, yes, you can ignore Semi-Annual Channel.

• #2100264 Reply

anonymous

Semi-annual channel now just means non insider.

When the defer days pass after a feature update is available, it shows up as an option to download and install now.  In some versions for now I think it does not automatically install unless you click that.

When the defer days pass after a quality update is available, the patch tuesday update will automatically install.  If you check for updates, you may get optional non-security updates.  If you do not click the check button, I think the optional updates are not installed until the next patch tuesday that is installed.

There is a different method recommended here to delay updates, maybe using wushowhide, metered connections.

Even when a patch installs, it has usually not really installed until you restart.  If you have zero days defer, doing a restart within a few days of patch tuesday could be useful.  Depending on your defer days you may be able to do restarts a day that makes sense, at least once a month.

• #2100308 Reply

KYKaren
        AskWoody Plus

If you check for updates, you may get optional non-security updates.

Thanks for the clarification about CHECK FOR UPDATES.

I don’t use DEFER (so DEFER=0) but instead I always NEVER click the “Download and install now” link unless I am ready to install the Feature Update. And afterwards, for now, instructions about a RESTART always appear. (In other words, for now, anyway, a Feature Update [i.e., the specified new version] doesn’t install unless I intentionally click the button)

And thanks for adding info about what happens if you don’t click the “Check for Updates” button.

…doing a restart within a few days of patch tuesday could be useful.

I always turn my machine off after I finish working on it. So, there is at least one shut-down and a subsequent power-up in a 24-hour period.

I wish there were a flow chart to circumscribe all of the contingencies outlined here (and there’s probably more that someone else can think of)! I think I would understand it better.

• #2100309 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

If your feature update deferrals are set to 120 days or more as MS and Woody recommend, you won’t get offered 1909 until March 11, 2020.

(Add x days to date 1909 was first offered, 11/12/19, and in this case, you get 3/11/20.)

• #2100319 Reply

anonymous

If you have disabled “fast startup” then I think doing a shutdown and power on, not a hibernate, does apply updates.  The default is “fast startup” on and in that case an explicit restart is needed to apply updates.

• #2110154 Reply

KYKaren
      AskWoody Plus

If you have disabled “fast startup” then I think doing a shutdown and power on, not a hibernate, does apply updates. The default is “fast startup” on and in that case an explicit restart is needed to apply updates.

Yes, I did some research on what this is and have discovered I have it as a default. The information that it is not the same thing as a RESTART is helpful. I can assume then that a fast startup does not automatically apply updates (whereas a RESTART does),right? Is that why I have to explicitly “Check Updates” to make updates initiate? (FYI, I have not changed anything at all in the Group Policy Editor).

And one more question about this. If, in doing an Update, I get the message that a RESTART is required and a “Restart now” button is offered, and let’s say that I a) decline to click on the button and b) I shut down, then there is not going to be any forced restart? And if I later power up, this is not going to automatically apply the updates (b/c it was a power up and not a restart)?

There’s a lot to learn. Windows 7 was sooo.. simple.

• #2110185 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

And if I later power up, this is not going to automatically apply the updates

It will apply the updates after shut-down – start..

• #2110195 Reply

anonymous

The easiest fix is to turn off fast startup.  If you have an SSD, startup will be very fast anyway.  If you don’t, the few extra seconds to know that when you boot each day, any pending updates will be applied is worth it.

To restate, with fast startup off, whenever you shut down and start up again, pending updates will be installed.

If fast startup is on, updates will, as far as I know, never or almost never be applied unless you click a popup that says restart now or from the power menu choose restart instead of shut down.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10, version 1909 is available for any user

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.