News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 Version 2004 Printer Follies

Posted on Ben Myers Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update Windows 10 Version 2004 Printer Follies

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Ben Myers
        AskWoody Lounger

I am very picky about how I set up my two networked printers.  They both have fixed IP addresses for ease and simplicity in my network.  If the addresses are fixed, I know where they are.  In the past, the printer properties show the exact port numbers, with my black and white LaserJet at 192.168.1.51, where it has been for a few years.

So I ran the Windows 10 Version 2004 update successfully, and, while helping someone else troubleshoot his printer problem over the phone, I noticed something very different in the printer properties.  See the attachment.  Two things are VERY different.  The port setting is WSD followed by cryptic gobbledygook.  AND I am unable to change the port setting, even though my favorite 192.168.1.51 is still in the list of ports.

Yes, the printer still works, but the Microsoft WSD nonsense obscures important information necessary for network administration.  This is a turn for the worse, and Microsoft did not have the common courtesy, as usual, to tell us about this change.  I have a small network, so I can keep track of what is where.  But what will companies with larger networks have to do to keep track of what is where?

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2305784 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Have you looked in the Settings App? Did it change the default there to “Let Windows control the printers”? Or any other changes there?

• #2305910 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

An answer here that may help (from 2018).

A very quick guide to WSD here.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 Version 2004 Printer Follies

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.