News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10, Version Update Messages

Posted on Rich Walters Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows 10, Version Update Messages

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        Rich Walters
        AskWoody Plus

I have 2 PCs that have the message on Windows Update.

The message is the following:

Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004

The next version of Windows is available with new features and security improvements. When you’re ready for the update, select “Download and install.”

On my other PCs is this message:

Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004

The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. Once it’s ready for your device, you’ll see the update available on this page.

Then there is a box:

Learn more.

I clicked on it and Firefox opened the web page for this. There I found several items: Windows 10, version 2004 and Windows Server, version 2004

Known issues

Also, there is one for Resolved issues and Windows 10 release information.

On the Known issues page, I found that my video cards version is below NVIDIA’s current driver is below 358.00. This why I am not able to update that PC.

On the 2 PCs that can be updated, I am waiting for the okay clearance from Ask Woody (here)!!!

• #2285918 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

If you want to upgrade the one PC where 2004 is being offered go ahead. There is no compelling reason to do it. Nor is there a compelling reason not to. Just make sure to make an image backup of your system before beginning the process.

--Joe

• #2286037 Reply
          Rich Walters
          AskWoody Plus

Joe,

I am wondering if I might try updating the one where Windows is saying that I need to wait on Windows to get ready for it.

Do you see any possible reason why I shouldn’t? It is a Dell VOSTO 200, built in either Dec, 2008 0r Jan, 2009. It has 8GB Ram. It is just the video card that Windows lists as a reason that Windows is not ready.

As for the other 2 PCs that I can download and install Windows 10, version 2004, I use both for my business and I want to wait until either Ask Woody indicates that the bugs Microsoft is trying to fix or late September or early October. Do you see any reason why I might do it sooner?

• #2286066 Reply
            anonymous

Did you update the video drivers?

On your other question, it depends if you are updating Win 10 to 2004 or updating an older OS.  If you are concerned, get a second SSD, create a bootable clone, make sure it boots, use MediaCreationTool2004.exe to make a bootable USB drive, and then have at it.  If the upgrade fails, it rolls back and tells you it did.

• #2286072 Reply
              Rich Walters
              AskWoody Plus

I have tried to update the video card, but NVIDIA hasn’t posted an updated driver since December, 2016.

It appears that I either try to update with the video driver I have, purchase a new video card or I will just upgrade the motherboard, etc.

I can get a 9.6 inch by 9.6 inch motherboard with an AMD Ryzen CPU, etc.

Each of my PCs have Windows 10, version 1909 on them. Two have have Pro and the other 2 have Home.

What do you think is the best plan?

• #2286237 Reply
                rafisher1
                AskWoody Plus

Well as Paul says – if you are running 1909, don’t worry about it.

For the video driver, open Device Manager and run Update Driver there.  If that doesn’t work, then I have to ask, are you running AMD or Intel, and if whichever, why are you using the discrete video card instead of the GPU on the CPU?  My client’s don’t need the discrete Graphics, so I always spec the Intel UHD 630 on the CPU.  For myself and my clients I prefer to put the money into the higher quality of motherboard, memory, CPU, SSDs, and other hardware instead of the massive amount one can invest into graphics.

For me I have to service not only my computers but my client’s as well.  When a major update comes in it takes me hours to re-work the custom setup on each machine.  So I don’t do that but once a year, meaning I skip one of the 6 month updates.

On some computers I will wait for the next fall update.

Further, I can’t be bothered with Win 10 Home.  Lacking of secure networking and the GPEditor.  All of my and my client’s computers are Pro.  Not saying that is your case – just the way I work. Pro or go away.

I am not a fan of system imaging. I want a physical SSD whether 2.5 inch or M.2 that I can connect to the computer and boot to as needed.  With that I can have the computer up and running by a simple BIOS boot order change, and I can access the original drive without having to boot to it.

Another point is I never have the data partition on the same physical drive as the OS and SW.  That way if the system drive goes tits up, I still have my data drive that incidentally will work perfectly with the back up system drive.

Regarding your “plan” if you put another motherboard in your computer, you will have to install the OS from scratch. So let me ask this, if we drop all of the upgrade questions, what exactly is the problem you are having?  Maybe Paul is correct in that forgetaboutit and get to work.

Robert Fisher

• #2286440 Reply
                Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

I am not a fan of system imaging. I want a physical SSD

Fine if you have the time, money and knowledge to do this. For most a single USB disk and free software is all they need.

Same applies to separate disks for OS and data.

cheers, Paul

• #2285959 Reply
        rafisher1
        AskWoody Plus

In the 8-2-2020 Newsletter Susan Bradley asked: Have you received the May feature release of Windows 10 — aka Version 2004?

I don’t see how to answer her.  I have 2004 with all updates running on 6 custom built and 3 laptops with no issues including the supposedly DefCon updates.  The systems seem a bit more stable and quick.

On some I downloaded and installed 20o4 and some had the option in Win Updates.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by rafisher1.
        • #2286040 Reply
          Rich Walters
          AskWoody Plus

Was there an issue with any of the PCs that you downloaded 2004 compared to the ones that you had the download and install availability?

• #2286065 Reply
        anonymous

I had no issues with either approach.  I downloaded and used MediaCreationTool2004.exe to create an installer on an 8GB thumb drive, and then used that on new builds or new installs on new SSD drives. On other systems I clicked on the link in Windows Update to run the installer.

• #2286086 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

What do you think is the best plan?

Do nothing. Your machines will continue to function without 2004 and you can do other things with your time. 🙂

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2286441 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

It is just the video card that Windows lists as a reason that Windows is not ready.

Microsoft doesn’t list the reason 2004 isn’t compatible with your PC.
        If you realy want to know what blocks 2004 from installing you have to dig deep into logs

My laptop doesn’t have any of 2004 known issues yet 2004 is blocked

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Alex5723.
      • #2286887 Reply
        anonymous

Paul . . . .

Yep, I’m definitely in synch with your last comment.
        Waste of effort at this early stage in the proceedings, the phrase ‘more trouble than its worth’ encapsulates the situation.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10, Version Update Messages

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.