News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 WiFi

Posted on jbrid123 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows 10 WiFi

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by b.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        jbrid123
        AskWoody Plus

Group – I have a windows 10 machine.  It was remote from my desktop, so I connected it to my wifi router.  I have moved it closer, so it now has a direct RJ45 connection.  I’ve tried every way I know how to tell it to NOT connect to wifi, and nothing works.  I turn off WiFi in settings, I do a network reset, I’ve tried disabling things.  I even searched the registry for my network name, and it’s not there.  The dang machine will not respond  – it turns wifi back on and reconnects no matter what I do.  I’m very frustrated.  I can change the password on my router, but that would affect things all over the house.  My wife would shoot me!  lol Suggestions please?  Thanks in advance, John Bridges

• #2170293 Reply
        Bluetrix
        AskWoody MVP

I’ve tried every way I know how to tell it to NOT connect to wifi, and nothing works.

Have you tried putting it in Airplane Mode?

That is, until you figure out what the real problem is.

• #2170321 Reply
        Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Windows 10 keeps a record of last-known network connections. It appears that your WiFi connection has moved up the list so it now surpasses the Ethernet connection for priority.

If so then all you have to do is re-order network connection priority. You can do it via the Settings app GUI but it’s actually easier and faster doing it via PowerShell (just 3 commands), even if you’ve never used PowerShell before.

Try this:

1. *Right-click* on the Start button and choose Windows PowerShell (Admin). (You don’t need elevated rights to check network connection priority but you *do* need elevated rights to make a change.)

2. Type the following (Tip: it’s easier using copy/paste) then press the RETURN/ENTER key: Get-NetIPInterface

This will bring up a list showing a whole host of info but the important stuff is in columns 1, 2 and 5, i.e. the Interface Index (in column 1, a.k.a. adapter ID), the adapter name (in column 2, a.k.a. InterfaceAlias) and connection priority (in column 3, a.k.a. Interface Metric). [No, I have no idea either why MS cannot just use plain English when naming stuff.]

Lower InterfaceMetric numbers get *higher* connection priority so in the screenshot below  WiFi (with an InterfaceMetric of 5) will always connect faster than Ethernet [or RJ45] (with an InterfaceMetric of 50):

Interface-Metrics

I suspect your network connection priority list will show similar.

All that’s needed is for the connection order to be reversed… and it takes just 2 commands:

Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex "16" -InterfaceMetric "5"
        Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex "2" -InterfaceMetric "50"

(The InterfaceIndex value is from the first column.)

Hope this helps…

Attachments:
        2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2170765 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

Or just Settings, Network & Internet, Wi-Fi, Manage known networks, [Network name], Forget.

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 WiFi

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.