News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Windows 11 kinda looks like Apple

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows 11 kinda looks like Apple

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Well, now, not exactly Apple-like. Or Apple’s Mac-like, at least:

Screen-Shot-2021-06-15-at-4.51.17-PM

(Besides those with icons in the bottom bar, all the installed applications can be accessed from Finder/Applications/ …  where “Finder” is the leftmost icon in the lower bar (a.k.a “the Dock”), the one that looks like a square smiling face.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Mojave & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. Intego AV and Malwarebytes.

PKCano
        Manager

Doesn’t look like my Mac either.

Susan Bradley
        Manager

Centered toolbar to me looks Apple-ish.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Susan B.: “Centered toolbar to me looks Apple-ish.

Sure, that’s where MS always gets its good ideas.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Mojave & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
          Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Ascaris
        AskWoody MVP

It looks Mac-like to me too at first glance, but less so as I look at it. The Mac has a global menubar at the top, with what looks to be the equivalent of the system tray on its right side, while the Windows pics show the system tray to the right side of the taskbar, same as it has been since Windows 95.

The bit that makes it seem Mac-like is that the “finder” button, the leftmost (but still floating) UI element on the dock, is the analog of the start button, the leftmost (but still floating) UI element on the new taskbar, in the light blue images. The docked applications are much the same as pinned taskbar items. The taskbar has been evolving into a dock of sorts already over time, and this just makes it look even more like that at first.

I saw something quite similar to this when I first started my new Dell XPS 13 with Ubuntu 20.04 (GNOME 3 desktop). The bottom bar was not a taskbar, but something analogous to the Mac dock. The bar at top did not have a global File, Edit… menubar, but it did have the notification icons at on the right side. I couldn’t wait to dump it and get back to the same Windows 95/2k pattern with which I am familiar. I’ve yet to see another UI paradigm that I find better, though I must say I have not used a Mac since they had 9 inch black and white CRT displays built into the beige system cabinet.

I do think MS got the UI just right with Windows 95, and I still consider Win2k’s UI, which was just an evolved version of the Win 95 UI, to be the gold standard. Every Windows version I have used post-95, as well as every Linux setup, has had the 2k UI, as much as was possible.

With 11, I would imagine that this is all stuff that can be changed in the settings, as there is one screenshot in the Windows Latest report that shows the stuff over on the left as it always has been.

We can’t really tell much by looking at a small number of screenshots. It will be interesting to see what they do with this.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.4 User Edition)

steeviebops
        AskWoody Lounger

Not the first time I’ve heard this and certainly won’t be the last. There was the whole “Windows 95 = Macintosh 89” advert going around at the time of Windows 95’s release. I also remember a YouTube video comparing Aero to Aqua when Windows Vista was released and there was some criticism of the taskbar changes in Windows 7 that claimed it was ripping off Apple’s Dock.

It does seem that whatever Apple do, everyone else follows. I’m still bitter with them starting the trend of removing headphone jacks from phones.

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Seteeviebops: “It does seem that whatever Apple do, everyone else follows. I’m still bitter with them starting the trend of removing headphone jacks from phones.

Today I am starting a new thread on the silly “ultrathin” trend where Apple, as usual, is leading the pack.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Today I am starting a new thread on the silly “ultrathin” trend where Apple, as usual, is leading the pack.

You can add to the new topic the removal of SCSI support, Floppy disks, Optical drives, Replacing USB-A with USB-C/TB, …:-)

Ascaris
        AskWoody MVP

Not the first time I’ve heard this and certainly won’t be the last. There was the whole “Windows 95 = Macintosh 89” advert going around at the time of Windows 95’s release.

Yes, but it was just an advertising slogan. Windows 95, for example, had pre-emptive multitasking; you’d have to wait 5 or 6 years to get that in the Mac.

Windows 95 was available on many affordable PCs that started at under a thousand dollars, complete with “Super VGA” color. The cheapest Macs of 1989 were far more expensive than that, and used a 9 inch black and white display that was built into the system unit. If you wanted color, you had to go to the Mac II line, and that was even more costly. A Mac IIcx from 1989 cost US$5,369, the equivalent of over ten thousand dollars in today’s money.

Windows put computing within reach of millions of people when the internet went big and suddenly everyone had to be on “the information superhighway” as politicians referred to it at the time. Windows 95 came at just the right time to ride that wave, and by not tying the software to the hardware as Apple did, it enabled competition within the new consumer PC market, much as MS-DOS had done prior to that in the business world, meaning lower prices and more consumer choice (including the ability to build your own PC out of components, an option that many of us still enjoy today. I built my first PC in 1990). The importance of that would be hard to overstate.

It’s not just everyone copying Apple. It’s everyone copying everyone, in the computing realm and outside of it. If one product demonstrates the importance of a given feature, others will want to include that feature. It’s a good thing, or there would only be one car manufacturer that has power steering, another one that has air conditioning, and so on.

there was some criticism of the taskbar changes in Windows 7 that claimed it was ripping off Apple’s Dock

More likely that it arrived there by convergent evolution, I would say, just as with the pre-emptive multitasking thing. Certainly the 7 taskbar’s large icons and the ability to pin them bears some resemblance to the Dock, but the MS Quick Launch bar preceded OSX’s Dock by several years. There is not much difference between pinning tasks and adding them to Quick Launch (it looks almost exactly the same with small icons), and the only other major change was that MS doubled the default height of the taskbar. Otherwise, it was still the same taskbar, just bigger, and with less information conveyed to the user (which is why getting rid of the large icons/captionless mode and restoring Quick Launch was always the first change I made to 7+).

I’m still bitter with them starting the trend of removing headphone jacks from phones.

Why? Just buy a phone that still has one. I’d never consider one without a headphone jack. Instant rule-out.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.4 User Edition)

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Ascaris: “The cheapest Macs of 1989 were far more expensive than that, and used a 9 inch black and white display that was built into the system unit. If you wanted color, you had to go to the Mac II line, and that was even more costly. A Mac IIcx from 1989 cost US$5,369, the equivalent of over ten thousand dollars in today’s money.

I beg to disagree: the Mac for widespread use that we can recognize as such came out first in early 1984 and was a game-changing, practically instant, success:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaaVISsCSC0

It cost, at the time US$2,495 (equivalent to US$6,220 in 2020).

So not exactly cheap, but many university male students, soon after it came out, could be seen lugging this heavy thing on their back packs around campus, no doubt to signal their physical fitness to susceptible females.

I did use both at work and elsewhere, back when, the Mac IIfx , IIcxf and this one, and one could tell the great difference between this one and the others.

anonymous

another microsoft lemon with a mixture of distro GUI/shell tweaks and a plank docker.

redmond innovation and imagination at it’s best lol

TaskForce141
        AskWoody Lounger

Hopefully, most of the “features” developers have been transferred from Win 10 to Win 11.

And remaining W10 releases will focus on bugs and security.  Perhaps the twice-a-year release schedule for W10 will be cut down to a single service pack in the fall?

If W11 is the future, why waste time dressing up W10 with more features few care about?

Other Microsoft news: Satya Nadella is now chairman, as well as CEO.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/16/microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-will-also-become-chairman-of-the-board.html

anonymous

How did that happen?  Major fox in the henhouse move!

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 11 could be a free upgrade for Windows 7

Windows 11 is the next generation of Windows and it’s going to be a free upgrade for Windows 10. In addition, it looks like users may be able to upgrade their Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 devices to Windows 11 using apps like Media Creation Tool or Update Assistant…

anonymous

Linux clone, kinda like, uh, Cortland?   Absolutely nothing tops a Keepsake.

When we get exploding windows, revolving desktops cubes, squashing windows, windblown windows, weird autoarranging, offscreen windows, MS Windows will have arrived.  NOT!!!

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

Removed – already shown in link above.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 11 Home requires internet to complete setup, but there’s a workaround

..We tried this on multiple VMs and even on a physical machine and noticed that on the screen prompting users to connect to a Wi-Fi network, there is no “I don’t have internet” option for users to choose from and go ahead with creating a local account. What’s more? Unlike Windows 11 Pro, the “sign-in options” menu on the page succeeding the network connection page does not contain the “Offline account” option, leaving users with no other option but to log into (or create) a Microsoft account. This is the case even when users are not connected to the internet…

..However, here’s where Adam’s simple workaround came in handy, which is both amusing and surprising; When Windows 11 Home prompts users to connect to a network, a simple ‘Alt + F4’ shortcut closes the prompt, and the screen proceeds directly to the local account creation page..

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

This is a part install animation (speeded up in places) to show the option(s) to create a Local Account (Offline Account) while connected to the internet.
        The important options to use are the Sign-In + Limited Experience
        I’ve used W11 Dev Build 21996.1 in my example below.

Viewing 14 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Windows 11 kinda looks like Apple

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.