• Windows 11 updates change default settings : browser, search..

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Questions about Windows 11 » Windows 11 updates change default settings : browser, search..

Author
    Topic

Last Windows 11 update changed default browser to Edge, default Chrome search-engine to Bing and changed “restore previous tabs” setting to “always open Bing on startup”

So they basically ****** around with third-party software settings to push their ****** products. This is pathetic, predatory and should be illegal.

How do you deal with Microsoft’s ******** on a daily basis? Any similar stories?

Moderator: content edited.

Our simple rules:
    “2. No swearing. I know that technology makes you want to swear, but we don’t here in the Lounge.”

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

One person posting a symptom, 200+ people discussing search engines and Microsoft management style and not confirming or denying the symptom.

Anyone else seeing this on their Windows 11 or is it a one-off of the poster?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

One person posting a symptom, 200+ people discussing

The original post has 1.1k comments with 96% upvoted.

The first reply has 1.3k responses…

I still didn’t see anyone actually confirming the bug.  I see a TON of people talking about Bing versus Google.  Just because it’s upvoted doesn’t mean that the bug is confirmed.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

I’m not sure which updates the Reddit poster has in mind, but as an experiment tonight, after checking Settings for the default browser (some set to Vivaldi, others to Firefox, others to Edge), I downloaded and installed the Windows 11 January CU, then rebooted and checked the default apps again. Everything stayed the same as I’d had it before the CU.

OTOH, if this is really happening to some people (and I await confirmation), it could be one of those infamous A/B trial balloons that are sometimes used to see how people react to a change (or to gauge how much they’re willing to put up with).

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Windows 11 updates change default settings : browser, search..

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.