News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 1909 update settings question

Posted on turn46bv Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Windows 1909 update settings question

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        turn46bv
        AskWoody Plus

Hopefully this note will get to the proper place.

Many thanks for your article on ‘Setting windows 10 update parameters’.  I wish I had known these before.

I have a question.  I thought I was doing the right thing by setting a delay of 7 days for updates.  It looks like I need to do much more than that.  So…. here’s my question.

Should I remove the 7 day delay setting before setting your recommended settings?

I plan to shut my WiFi before turning my computer on and put the settings in place, then turn on my WiFi.   This computer only gets turned on every couple weeks.  My wife uses it for financial items only, no surfing, email, or other non financial use.

Thanks, Doug

• #2276942 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

The source material for the article is AKB2000016. Please read through it for a better, more precise explanation. Section 1 is general terminology, Sections 2 and 3 deal with Home and Pro Editions respectively. Section 4 is the sections I use for the Pro Edition and the reasons I do as an example. If you have v2004, Section 5 is a work in progress, as it’s too new.

There are screenshots at the bottom to help find the settings.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2277156 Reply
        MaxRjM
        AskWoody Lounger

I have a problem with this update! it doesn’t fit on my disk! what should I do with it?

• #2277172 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

First thing you should do is make a full disk image backup of the computer and a separate data backup in case you run into problems.

Then you should clean up the disk.
          Run the Disk Cleanup Utility as Administrator and clean up system files.
          Delete the C:\Windows\SorfwareDistribution folder (it will be recreated).
          Remove some of the data you have backed up, particularly if you have videos and other large files.

Susan Bradley ran into the same problem with an HP Envy Note 5000.
          This was her solution. Start here and follow the links to learn more.
          I found more topics on the subject by putting “32GB + upgrade” (without quotes) in the search box on the right.
          Note: if you use an SD card, it should not have other data on it you intend to keep.

If you need more help, please create a new Topic in the appropriate Forum associated with your version of Win10.

• #2277165 Reply
          geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

Please provide the upgrade name, where you are trying to “store” it, disk or hard drive size, computer, and information on what task you are attempting with specifics.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
          offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
          online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox80.0b4 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        • #2277167 Reply
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

fit on my disk

You mean there is insufficient free space on your C:\ ? With Windows update assistant, you can use external storage to increase space need for the update.
          In first moment Update Assistant will tell you, that your PC is ready to upgrade.
          Then error will appear. It will tell you, that there is not enough space. Update assistant will let you choose additional external storage. It can be USB stick, or even SD card. Ive done this myself on few chromebooks (which comes with 32 GB storage for example).

Hope this information will be usefull.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 1909 update settings question

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.