News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 7/10 Dual Boot

Posted on jbrid123 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7/10 Dual Boot

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BobbyB 2 weeks ago.

• Author

jbrid123
      AskWoody Plus

Hi group.  Sorry if this is an easy question.  I have a new Windows10 machine, and I’d

like to install windows 7 on it to become dual boot (separate partition of course).  Is that straightforward or do I need to get a boot manager?  Thanks in advance, John Bridges

• #2012899 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

I would install Virtual Machine software and create the W7 machine as virtual. No need to dual boot and you can work between the two systems.

You need to check the licensing to make sure you are allowed to run W7 – an OEM license is no good.

cheers, Paul

• #2013503 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Its not a biggie really, just on a UEFI Machine Win7 cant run with secure boot enabled, and you can set the defaults with Run -> MSCONFIG in either OS, Default OS Win10 you get the shiny Blue Boot Select menu, Default OS Win7 you get the Sombre Black White DOS style Boot menu. I normally use Win10 as the default, curious thing, no one seems to know why, that Win7 icon has a small “7” in the Icon with Win10 set as the default.
      For quick Switching between OS’s I use iREBOOT shaves quite a bit of time off switching OS’s: https://neosmart.net/iReboot/
      No real need for any special Software such as boot managers, however the usual Caveats apply Back up comprehensively in case of disaster. You can install or Boot from a USB or DVD CDROM and windows should take care of the rest just take a care not to install over the existing OS(s). If Win10 is installed UEFI make sure your Win7 can boot the same way, or you going to be switching between “Legacy” and UEFI in the Bios every time you wish to change OS.
      Makes a nice change occasionally round here doing things in Win7 as opposed to Win10, I have ran, most of the time, dual boots since Win2k and XP except Vista. Never really hit any insurmountable problems.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 7/10 Dual Boot

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.