Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 7 April updates

Posted on kitty75 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Windows 7 April updates

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

kitty75
      AskWoody Lounger

As per PKCano  instructions (who very kindly helped me out last time), after a lot of searching on how to do it, I uninstalled kb4099950. I then clicked on system update so that I could install kb4093118, but only May’s update were listed.

After searching again I followed PKCano’s link to the Microsoft update catalogue who also told another forum member to download both files. More searching and I eventually worked out how to this and saved them to the desktop.

Do I also have to download and install kb4099950 before I install kb4093118 and do I just double click the kb4093118 file to install first and then the pciclear file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• #191732 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

If you have uninstalled the earlier version of kb4099950, and you DID NOT install the March Rollup, all yo have to do is install kb4093118 FROM WINDOWS UPDATE. It will tale care of all the rest. Do not try to install from the Catalog.

• #191943 Reply

kitty75
        AskWoody Lounger

To PKCano. Thank you for replying to me again. I meant to say that I clicked on windows update, not system update, so apologies for giving you the wrong information.

What I did is as follows. Uninstalled KB4099950 and rebooted. Clicked on windows update and the only updates listed are as follows:

2018-05 security and quality rollup for Net.Framework KB4099633

2018-05 security rollup for windows 7 64 bit KB4103718

Then, Kb2952664, KB3021917 and KB890830. I wouldn’t ever install the first two as have read about them here.

Once again, thank you for your help.

• #191989 Reply

anonymous

@kitty75

So that you can get the correct advice for your situation, please answer the following questions: Do you have March’s rollup (KB4088875) successfully installed on your machine, and if you do, on which date was it installed? These questions are being asked because @pkcano states in his reply to you on May 10th

If you have uninstalled the earlier version of kb4099950, and you DID NOT install the MarchRollup

Please post back here with your reply to the questions. The information to answer the questions can be found within Windows Update by clicking on the blue link in the middle of the Windows Update box that says “View update history”. Your responses will help determine the correct course of action for you.

March’s rollup was changed after it was first released, so that’s why the questions about what date you installed it,  and if you have it installed in the first place.

• #192085 Reply

kitty75
      AskWoody Lounger

@anonymous

Thank you for replying to me. Replies to your questions are as follows:

Clicked on windows update, then view update history, items installed are:

kb403342, kb4100480 and kb4099950. All installed on 10th April 2018

Then I went to control panel, clicked on uninstall a program and view installed updates. The following items were listed:

kb4054852, 4100480 and kb4099950. All installed on 10th April 2018

kb4099950 was uninstalled on 11th May 2018.

I also keep notes on all microsoft updates so I can keep a record and when they were installed or uninstalled. What I have now noticed is that in view update history in windows update, although kb4033342 is listed as installed on 10th April 2018, on my view installed updates kb4054852 is listed as installed on 10th April 2018.

Hope that all makes sense.

• #192090 Reply

anonymous

@kitty75

Same anonymous as above. Which patches are listed as having been installed during the month of March? Please also list the date or dates the patches were installed.

Since you have some updates installed on April 10th, that makes it sound as if you might be on the automatic update system, whereby Windows Update automatically installs updates on the second Tuesday of each month, also known as Patch Tuesday.

The patches you listed for April are as follows: KB4033342 is actually the installer for .NET version 4.7.1 which Microsoft has been trying to push onto Windows 7 users for a while now. It had a habit of causing several problems last year, though, as some folks here can attest to. KB4100480 is a very important security patch for Total Meltdown. Very glad to see you have it installed.

Looking forward to hearing what patches you have installed during the March time frame.

• #192092 Reply

anonymous

OOPS!! Almost forgot in my post above, KB4054852 is an update to .NET 4.7.1 that was released to patch KB4033342.  🙁

• #192251 Reply

kitty75
      AskWoody Lounger

Thank you once again for replying to me again.

As per advice on this site, on choose how windows can install updates, I have made it “Never check for updates (not recommended). I also check Woody’s def con rating and never install updates till it’s at least def con 3. I have also kept a note of updates and when they were installed 21 March 2016, when I found this brilliant site, which I have learnt so much from.

The above updates I have listed as installed on 10 April 2018, are in fact March 2018 updates. Before I installed April’s update I checked on here and got a bit confused and I was kindly helped earlier by PKcano who advised me to uninstall kb4099950 before installing April’s updates. I followed his advice, restarted, clicked on windows updates, and April’s updates (kb4093118 and

kb4099633) were not listed. It only showed May’s updates.

I have also noticed that in windows update, view update history, it still says that kb4099950 was installed successfully on 10 April 2018, although I uninstalled it on 11 May 2018 on my laptop. I don’t know if this makes a difference or not.

Once again, thank you for help, I really appreciate it.

• #192594 Reply

Bob99
      AskWoody Lounger

BTW, I’ve been the one posting anonymously in all of the instances above to try to help you.

If you haven’t installed KB4088875, then I know exactly what you should do next in order to get 4093118 to show itself.

• #192592 Reply

anonymous

So, to be perfectly clear, you did not install any updates during the period of March 1st to March 31st, correct?

I just want to make absolutely sure you didn’t install KB4088875 at all. Giving you the correct advice depends on this little fact.

• #192662 Reply

kitty75
      AskWoody Lounger

anonymous, (sorry don’t know how to address it to you).

Once again, thank you so much for your help.

In answer to your questions, details are as follows:

The only item installed during the period of 1st March to 31st March was February update kb4074598 installed on 6th March.

I did not install March update kb4088875.

I did install March updates,  kb4100480, kb4054852 and kb4099950 on 10th April

I uninstalled March update kb4099950 on 11th May

I hope this information is what you need.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

• #192820 Reply

Bob99
        AskWoody Lounger

Ok then. In keeping with @pkcano ‘s advice above, you need to install KB4093118 by using Windows Update. BUT, how in the world do you do just that when Windows update isn’t offering it to you??? It’s only offering the patches for May!!

The answer is simple: Hide the May rollup (KB4103718) and uncheck ALL the updates that have a check next to them. That will help ensure you don’t accidentally install one of this month’s patches or the .NET previews that Microsoft just released in the last couple of days. Please read the next paragraph if you’re not sure how to hide an update.

To hide the May rollup, please ensure the checkmark next to it is removed, and then make sure that it’s the only update that’s highlighted in the Windows Update window. Once it’s highlighted, simply right click over it. That will bring up a menu that should list “Hide” as one the options. Select “Hide” and the update will then be greyed out. Now, click the “OK” button at the bottom of that box, and you’ll be back at the main page for Windows Update.

On that page, click the blue listing at the top of the left side of the window that says “Check for updates”. Windows will re-check for updates and probably present you with the preview rollup for may that was released around the middle of last month. Go ahead and HIDE it just like you his this month’s rollup.

Have Windows Update recheck for updates again, and THIS time, it should present you with KB4093118. Make sure that KB4093118 is the only update with a check mark next to it (again to make sure you don’t mistakenly install any of May’s updates) and go ahead and install it.

You should then be all set, ready for May’s patches once Woody gives us the green light, so to speak.

One final thing, though. Once you’re done installing the April patch, and have rebooted from it, have Windows update rescan for updates, and unhide this month’s rollup patch, KB4103718 so that once we get the go-ahead, you’ll be ready to go along with the rest of us.

To unhide a patch, simply select the option labeled “Restore hidden updates” in blue on the left side of the main Windows Update window.

Although this sounds long and convoluted, it’a actually not that bad once you’ve done it. @pkcano was quite specific for you to install the April update from Windows Update, so this is how to do it.

If you have any further ??’s feel free to drop a line here!

Bob99

• #192891 Reply

kitty75
      AskWoody Lounger

@bob99

Thank you for helping me and giving me detailed instructions on what to do. As you’ve probably guessed, as a golden oldie, the computer world is all new to me and I’m learning as I go especially from this site.

Thanks to you, I have now installed April’s kb4093118 patch.

After restarting, and clicking on windows update, the updates showing are:

kb4099633 security & quality rollup for Net.Framework for 05 2018 and

kb4103718 security monthly quality rollup for 05 2018

Now I know how to, I have hidden kb2952664 and kb3021917 updates

I will not install them until Woodys’ def con rating is 3 or above.

This is the only forum I have joined and have received so much help from PKCano and especially you, that I really can’t thank you enough for all the help you have given me.

Once again, many many thanks,

Kitty75

• #193150 Reply

anonymous

As a rule of thumb for many folks here, you should leave KB2952664 and KB 3021917 hidden. Don’t unhide them or install them unless directed to do so by one of the MVP’s here, such as @pkcano or @mrbrian for example.

You will see KB2952664 come up in the future within Windows Update, even though you’ve hidden it. That simply means that there’s a new version of it being offered by Microsoft since the one you hid in the past. When KB2952664 is re-offered, simply hide it and be done with it as you have this time. It is nothing more than a telemetry update of questionable value.

• #192971 Reply

anonymous

@pkcano

I’ve been following this thread with interest as my daughter has a laptop on which Windows Update isn’t working (we’ve tried the Troubleshooter to no avail) – she thus needs to install the Windows April patch (kb4093118) from the catalogue.

She has the February patch but installed nothing in March.

She downloaded kb4093118 but the download contains two files – how should she now proceed? clicking on kb4093118 would try to install it but we don’t know what to do with the pciclear(?) file … or in what order to do things! Help please.

(my daughter lives 200 miles away and so I can’t get hands on to the laptop to try things directly – we’ve been discussing it by phone)

• #192974 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

First, check the installed updates. I she installed KB4099950 prior to April 17, it needs to be uninstalled and reboot.

Place the KB4093118 .msu file and the pciclear(?) .exe file in the same location (both on the desktop or in the same folder). Double click on the .msu file. The .exe will be executed in the process of the installation (you may see a brief command prompt flash). Reboot when it prompts.

• #193066 Reply

Jim1878
          AskWoody Lounger

Hey PKCano,

I am in Group B. After reading this I am wondering if I did something wrong with my reinstall of KB4099950 and KB4088878. I hope it is okay to ask in this thread, as it may be a little ‘off topic’. I installed KB4099950 from Windows update prior to April 17 and then installed KB4088878. I uninstalled KB4088878 and KB4099950 with reboots after each, took the .msu version of KB4099950 from the catalog and installed that and rebooted. I then reinstalled KB4088878 and rebooted. Now I am wondering, was I supposed to do anything with the pciclear.exe (which I didn’t download) I also saw in the catalog? I thought the .msu was all that was needed. Do I have to redo all this with the pciclear.exe placed in the same folder as the KB4099950 .msu when I execute it? I think I recall seeing the cmd window flash when I did the reinstall of KB4099950, but I can’t be 100% sure. Thanks for any advice.

Jim1878

• #193067 Reply

PKCano
            AskWoody MVP

The pciclear.exe is executed in the process of the install of KB4099950 – you do not click on it.

The correct sequence is:
            KB4099950 – no reboot
            KB4088878

But if you didn’t do that, have no network problems, and have installed patches since, it’s probably best to just let things alone.

• #193101 Reply

anonymous

@pkcano

Many thanks for your advice about updating my daughter’s laptop – we will try to give it a go this weekend.

Do you have any ideas about getting her automatic windows update working again? I know this is a fairly common problem now on Windows 7 but the MS ‘Troubleshooter’ didn’t help.

TheDoc (I need to join this forum as it is so useful)

• #193102 Reply

anonymous

@pkcano

Re daughter’s laptop query: I am pretty sure that KB4099950 has never been installed – have I interpreted AskWoody correctly in thinking that it is now included in the April rollup and that KB4093118 (+pci…) is all that is now required? ……. until the May patching round is given the Defcon all clear

TheDoc

• #193106 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

KB4099950 is included in the April Rollup. But if it was previously installed before April 17th, it needs to be uninstalled first b/c it was not installed properly (MS made the revision on 4/17).

Wait until you install KB4093118 and see if Windows Update repairs itself. If not, then we can try to rebuild the datastore. But you don’t want to do that unless you have to. So check back afterward.

I am usually on the site from 4:00am – 8:pm CDT US (UTC -5 or 6, I think)

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  PKCano.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #193109 Reply

PaulK
          AskWoody Lounger

US Central Standard Time zone is -6, thus your Daylight (other parts of the world may have other terminology for this acceleration) is -5.

Historical note: I understand that for at least some time during WW2, Britain (standard zone 0) went to +2 to match Berlin time. This was to simplify war-fighting clock synchronizations. I don’t think that Germany had ‘Daylight’ time back then.

So you work a 16 hour day? Kudos for your dedication!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 7 April updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.