News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 7 AV solutions beyond EoS

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Win7 beyond End-of-life Windows 7 AV solutions beyond EoS

• This topic has 13 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Came across a website which gives an up-to-date list of Windows 7 Antivirus solutions with their expected support end dates. List is a valueable resource for those homeusers who wish to move to another AV security solution beyond Win7 EOS.

(article published 28th Jan 2020)
        https://www.av-test.org/en/news/life-after-windows-7-these-antivirus-software-packages-offer-protection-after-the-end-of-support/

Given the recent AV privacy revelation, this offers a wider choice for ‘Seven Semper Fi’ followers.

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
        12 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2113061 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

My own AV (installed both in the Win 7 PC and in the Mac) is “Webroot SecureAnywhere”, but is not listed in the linked article. My understanding is that it will continue to be available for Win 7. If correct, its absence from the list could be just a temporary matter.

If anyone knows more about this AV’s availability, please, bring that information here.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2120920 Reply
        Chessie
        AskWoody Plus

I have recently removed CCleaner but have stuck with Avast Free antivirus for the convenience of using its ‘Secure Browser’ Bank Mode for internet purchases and because it already has many of my passwords stored. However  I had been advised a while back to change to Kapersky by a more tech-savvy friend.

I appreciate the list you have supplied, @Microfix .

Can anyone please recommend a reliable free password manager? Or should I just type them in manually each time to be on the safe side?

Win 7 Home Premium SP1 x64

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by woody.
        • #2123532 Reply
          anonymous

Thanks for the link microfix, just what i need for an MSE purge over the w/end

Chessie, I think you’ll find that the thread was started by microfix .

credit where credit is due

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Paul T.
          3 users thanked author for this post.
          • #2124124 Reply
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

Anonymous: “I think you’ll find that the thread was started by microfix and not oscarcp, who has had previous credit snatching techniques.

Well, perhaps someone will be so kind as to point precisely where I have “snatched” something from anyone in this thread and from Microfix, in particular? Or show any proof that I am, as stated above, some kind of habitual thief of the ideas and opinions of others and then attributing them to myself? I have been blissfully unaware, until now, of the innocent mistake made by Chessie, who has realized what happened and graciously apologized for it.

But this is a personal attack against me and I am disturbed to see an MVP thanking my attacker for this slanderous post (but not necessarily for the attack on me) instead of deleting it as inappropriate, as a personal attack is in direct violation of the Rules of this site. And, to top it all, the post has been written by some “anonymous” that, having made the scurrilous comment, then vanished in the shadows.

Now it remains to be seen what happens to this comment, with it justified complaint.

[Edits made where due. -WL]

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2269686 Reply
          SilenceIsG0lden
          AskWoody Plus

Surprised no-one answered your question about the free password manager, Chessie. For convenience sake and if you have more than one device to share your passwords (or other person in your household), I’d still recommend Lastpass. It’s in the cloud, yes, but I’ve been trusting it ever since it came onto the market and haven’t been disappointed yet.

When they upped their prices, after being bought by LogMeIn, I looked around for other solutions, but none were as smooth. The free version also allows you to share passwords with someone (it’s easier with a family account, but not worth the high price). You just have to share them one-by-one.

Let me know if you have more questions about Lastpass. (I only found your post today.)

• #2122996 Reply
        anonymous

Kaspersky and Avast have both had scandals if you read the news.  If you don’t need to sync your passwords to multiple devices, try KeePass.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2124112 Reply
          Chessie
          AskWoody Plus

@anonymous My mistake. Not sure how that happened. Perhaps @oscarcp was merely recommending this thread.  I’m relatively new here.

• #2123598 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

KeePass will sync across multiple devices, you just have to be a bit careful doing it.

cheers, Paul

• #2123859 Reply
        Purg2
        AskWoody Lounger

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=kaspersky+ties+to+russian+intelligence

At some point this past summer or early fall, I got tired of Avast (free) under performing.  Manual context menu scans wouldn’t work even after multiple “repair” & uninstall/reinstalls.

Next I tried BitDefender (free) thinking it was decent enough by recommendations here.  What I didn’t like about it was that it didn’t have a “quick scan” option.  So it got uninstalled too.

Avira (free) was where I landed.  It has a quick scan.  While the context menu scan still isn’t 100% I figured it’s better than Avast where I feel I dodged a bullet.

Avira combined with Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware on demand keeps me confident.  uBlock origin Firefox add-on seals the deal.

To each his or her own.  It’s tricky finding what works for our own individual needs sometimes.  This topic will be a good thing to have to refer to.

Win 8.1 Group B, Linux Dabbler

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2124135 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I have recently removed CCleaner

https://www.askwoody.com/askwoody-newsletter-alerts/microsoft-finally-got-onedrive-right/#best-utilities-0

You can use instead ccPortable : https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ccportable

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Alex5723.
      • #2269694 Reply
        SilenceIsG0lden
        AskWoody Plus

I’d like to reanimate this thread. How are everyone’s AV solutions now, a few months after Win7 EoS?

We bought a multi-year AVG Internet Security subscription last year at a ridiculous price, but we might have to abandon it. It’s still working fine and still supports Win7 (cf. linked list of support length above), but over the past few months the drag on our systems has been getting worse. Eventviewer entries show it’s AVG slowing down shutdowns and starts. We sped up boot time by delaying its start and setting boot scan to the most minimal (we don’t engage in risky surfing behavior).

This experience is the same on our two systems:
        1. PC built by me in 2008, still going strong (double boot with Linux Mint 19.3, my main boot now) with Win7 Home 64 bit, upgraded 2 years ago with a system SSD.

2. 19 month old HP laptop with super specs, large SSD, used to boot within 3 seconds, shut down in 3 seconds, now both processes extended to 30+ seconds.

Tested both systems by uninstalling AVG and both were very snappy again. Messed with AVG settings, but couldn’t get it to “behave.”

We’re urgently looking for an alternative. AVG might still support Win7 but maybe its focus on Win10 makes it sluggish for Win7? No clue. Just know we’re not happy.

• #2269703 Reply
        SilenceIsG0lden
        AskWoody Plus

Never mind. I just discovered this thread:

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/some-anti-virus-suggestions-for-win-7/

and will study it + post there. Over and out here.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 7 AV solutions beyond EoS

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.