News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 7 ESU for 2021

Posted on amybabinchak Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Windows 7 ESU for 2021

Tagged: 

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        amybabinchak
        AskWoody_MVP

About 3,000 of you purchased the Windows 7 ESU from Harbor Computer Services last year. We offered to make this available to Woody readers after so ma
        [See the full post at: Windows 7 ESU for 2021]

4 users thanked author for this post.
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Thank you for this!!

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

gborn
        AskWoody_MVP

For those in Europe, I’ve managed also to find a German company, that offers the ESU license for the 2nd year to other countries.

Windows 7 SP1: ESU Support for 2021 – Part 1

Microsoft Windows Insider MVP, Microsoft Answers Community Moderator, Blogger, Book author

https://www.borncity.com/win/

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by gborn.
        3 users thanked author for this post.
        HiFlyer
        AskWoody Plus

Since M$ has found a way for Win7 ESU might we expect the same for Win8.1 when it’s support days are numbered?

I sure hope so.

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

I don’t think many businesses went to W8, they stayed on W7 until W10 turned up and you could no longer get drivers for W7 on new machines. On that basis it’s unlikely W8/8.1 will need ESU.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
          anonymous

I agree with @Paul-T . from what I’ve seen on this forum, it’s my belief that Windows 8/8.1 has nowhere near the vast adoption rate that Windows 7 achieved both in consumer and business lines/SKUs.

For that reason, I seriously doubt MS will offer any type of ESU for those on 8.1, except to those few businesses who have some sort of enterprise volume licensing agreement that specifically allows them to receive such support for an extended period (one or two years perhaps) beyond EOL.

As anecdotal evidence, recall on the consumer side the boom/bust cycle of OSes, 98SE boom, ME bust, XP boom, Vista bust, 7 boom. With that “cycle”, many folks figured that 8 would probably be a bust, so they pinned their hopes on Windows 10 on the consumer side. Just sayin’.

Turns out that Windows 10 is a completely different beast thanks to the SaaS concept that MS seems to be trying to follow with Win 10. “Sure you get a perpetual license, but you have to update it every 18 months or you’re out of luck”.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          amybabinchak
          AskWoody_MVP

I think this will be a one time thing. I wouldn’t expect it for Windows 8 or 8.1

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 7 ESU for 2021

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.