News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 7 hangs – Need help to troubleshoot

Posted on DTPatterson Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 hangs – Need help to troubleshoot

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  GoneToPlaid 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

DTPatterson
      AskWoody Plus

I am running Windows 7 Home Edition on an HP desktop.  It is increasingly hanging with hard drive (HD) activity until it resolves and then I can proceed.  Seems to be nearly continuous HD activity by the sound and HD light flickering.

I have performed diagnostics and Memtests and there seems to be no hardware or memory chip problems.  I run CCLeaner routinely, and have run all of Norton’s PC Maintenance tasks.  Even performed Chkdsk /F with no issues.

I am guessing that there is some software conflicts happening but I am not sufficiently competent to be able to track down the issue.

Is there someone who could help me troubleshoot this problem, remotely?    Or point to me how I can get this problem fixed?

Any help is most appreciated.

Doug

• #627079 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Start by giving us some information about the specs of your machine and what software you usually run.
      Turn off the Norton Maintenance tasks for a while and see it that makes any difference. If you are running any other AV software in the background, turn it off.

Microsoft built the functionality of KB2952664 (telemetry) into the Monthly Rollups in October 2018. You can start by reading AKB2000012 about neutralizing that telemetry. That will help some to cut down background activity.

Download and run a full scan with Malwarebytes Free and see what (if any) PUPs you can get rid of.

After that, see what other programs are running in the background. Right click on the Taskbar and open Task Manager. Note which Processes are using the most CPU.

• #629570 Reply

DTPatterson
      AskWoody Plus

PKCAno,

I shutdown most of the Norton Security features (except the virus protection functions) and immediately got a major improvement.   The computer so far has not hanged and there seems to be little or no ongoing HD activity.  I did download and run Malwareantibytes and it reported 136 PUPs (see attached .pdf report).  I could not identify any that I think were problematic but another set of eyes may be helpful.  Seems most of them had to do with Chrome.  Right after the scan was complete, I went ahead and selected to quarantine all 136 PUPs, however, after looking at them, and reading the report, I did not see anything disturbing (at least to my untrained eye), so I restored all 136.

So far, I am really happy to know it was all the background activity from the Norton Internet Security Suite that was causing the hangups.

Thanks for your help.  If you see anything in the PUP report, please let me know.

Doug

• #630269 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Yeah, Norton has always (in my experience) been a resource hog. Consider options.

As far as MalwareBytes is concerned, I get rid of anything it finds. I don’t like the unnecessary PUPs on my machine. And you never know what they are doing / transmitting. If it were me, I’d quarantine the lot.

• #629858 Reply

DTPatterson
      AskWoody Plus

Apparently, this forum does not allow file uploads using .txt or .pdf (I have tried both), and I even tried to paste the report into this box without success.  Please let me know how I can get this PUP report to you.

Also, my computer specs are:

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Windows edition: WINDOWS 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

Model:  Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard Company p7-1207c

Processor: AMD A6-3620 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 2.20 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 14.0 GB (13.5 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System

• #630205 Reply

Elly
        AskWoody MVP

Can you do a screen shot, .jpg? You can upload those…

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #1224599 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

If MBAM has classified a program as a PUP, then you really do not want it. A lot of PUPs have back doors which can install malware or other PUPs.

• #632654 Reply

Canadian Tech
      AskWoody_MVP

Big clue about Norton. I support about 130 or so Win7 machines and have for years. I learned long ago to not use any “security” product. They cause way more problems than they are worth. In fact, I will not even work on a PC with one on it. Use only Antivirus products. That is all you need. The other parts to Norton Security are really components that work by disabling built-in Windows functions and that frequently cause conflicts. I use Bitdefender Antivirus+ exclusively.

How old is the hard drive? It could be it is beginning to fail. When they are in that state, they sometimes behave the way you describe.

CT

• #633962 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

I agree with Canadian Tech, haven’t had any use for Norton products since Symantec bought them and started getting rid of some useful parts.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
    • #642212 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

I stopped using Norton years ago in my Windows 7 Pro, SP1, x64, HP dv6t machine. The reason is that it was causing conflicts with other applications and even with the OS, besides being quite slow to scan (as the files on the HD were checked against signs of malware on the PC, not in the Cloud, which is much faster and also how more recent types of AV software work these days.

I changed it for Webroot SecureAnywhere, that is not expensive — and for some $70 per year (at this time) can be installed in up to five machines. It has a Mac version as well as a Windows one.

One problem people keeping Windows 7 and not switching to Windows 10 may start to  encounter, pretty much with any AV, is that it might no longer be supported after Win 7’s EOL next January. In any case, and probably even sooner than that, the only “for Windows” versions available to download might be for Windows 10.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #677548 Reply

NightOwl
      AskWoody Plus

@ OscarCP

I changed it for Webroot SecureAnywhere … One problem people keeping Windows 7 and not switching to Windows 10 may start to encounter, pretty much with any AV, is that it might no longer be supported after Win 7’s EOL next January. In any case, and probably even sooner than that, the only “for Windows” versions available to download might be for Windows 10.

To their credit, Webroot SecureAnywhere is still supporting WinXP–one of the few antivirus programs that still does! I suspect they will do the same for Win7 for quite some time as well. Nice program and low overhead on system resources.

See System Requirements near the bottom of this page.

I use their stand alone Antivirus program, and not the Internet Security Plus, or Internet Security Complete versions of the program–depends on what you feel your needs are. Best pricing I found was on Amazon.

You can compare the products here: Compare WebRoot Antivirus Products

NightOwl

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are 😉 !

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 7 hangs – Need help to troubleshoot

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.