News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 7 Migration to Windows 10

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 Migration to Windows 10

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Lugh 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Xtype
      AskWoody Plus

Hi all

I can anyone recommend any third party solutions to migrate Windows 7 including apps and settings to Windows 10 ?

thanks in advance …..

• #544313 Reply

Canadian Tech
      AskWoody_MVP

Consider sticking with Windows 7. If it still works, why dump it?

How would you feel if Ford declared it would no longer support your 2010 Ford?

The analogy is not far off.

No more parts! When you go to the dealer you bought it from, they say they will not service it! The gas station will no longer sell you gasoline! Cops stop you and give you a ticket for driving an obsolete car!

Really sounds ridiculous. Doesn’t it?

Your Ford still works just fine. Looks good. Does everything you want it to do. The repairman in the neighbourhood says no problem. NAPA still sells parts for your vehicle. Why should you scrap it when you spent a lot of hard-earned money and it still works?

CT

• #545524 Reply

joep517
        AskWoody MVP

In the USA auto manufacturers are required to provide a servicing solution for anything under warranty. From what I can find there is no obligation for them to supply OEM parts beyond that. It is a decision made be each manufacturer about each model. There may be third party after market parts available for a long time. That is considerably different than an operating system. Windows 7 still works on older systems. Many if not most vendors do not provide Windows 7 drivers for newer equipment. That in itself may be enough impetus to upgrade.

As far as the OP’s question goes, it all depends on the number of machines to upgrade. Will it be to new systems or upgrade an existing system?

--Joe

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #592305 Reply

Lugh
        AskWoody_MVP

How would you feel if Ford declared it would no longer support your 2010 Ford?

Much the same as if MS said it would no longer support Win10 1803. That’s the rough equivalent of your analogy, given the difference between ‘normal’ years & software/internet years.

Does Ford still support Edsel?

Lugh.
        ~
        Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
        i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #545323 Reply

Xtype
      AskWoody Plus

This is for a business application. They will stop support for the app when MS stops security updates at the end of the year. I also have to upgrade server 2008 to 2016..

• #549497 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

there’s also a Server 2019 version. upgrade to the 2019 version instead of 2016 if possible

• #570150 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

How many machines are we talking here?
      The “standard” method is to create an image file containing all the required programs and other settings, plus drivers for all the hardware you use, then drop the image on each machine. The install takes about half an hour once you have spent a week building and testing – I assume you’ve not done this before, it’s much quicker once you’re set up.

This Windows Central post has details on unattended set ups.

cheers, Paul

• #580508 Reply

Xtype
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul

Yes I have done it many times it’s just I am very time poor on this project as they need it done asap.

• #586752 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

1 day to sort out the image. 40 minutes per machine to be up and running.
      Or, a couple of hours per machine.

Does it add up?

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 7 Migration to Windows 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.