News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 7 patch situation?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Windows 7 patch situation?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by

GoneToPlaid 5 months ago.

• Author

phaolo
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello, I just registered because I need to update my system, but I’d like to know the current patch situation.

I haven’t installed a single fix this year, due to the reported buggy patches, the hidden telemetry, the expected lowered performances for Spectre’s fixes,  and the fear of MS purposely sabotaging the old OS.
      I read that Spectre is now exploitable also via web, so I can’t postpone it any longer.

I’m going to apply the “Security Only” patches from here:
      https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance

Do you know if I should skip some bad patch?
      Has the network card bug (?) been resolved?

Thank you

• #240786 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

The network bug is still there (since March) and Microsoft has not resolved it.
      You will most likely see some slowdown due to the Meltdown/Spectre mitigation.
      If you have an AMD processor, be aware of the notes about it for patches in the first three months of 2018.

You will need to download and manually install the latest Servicing Stack KB3177467 before you begin.

You can download all the Security-only patches from AKB2000003 on this site. The links are direct download from the Windows Update Catalog, so they are current. They are listed by the month and bitedness.
      You will also need the Cumulative Update for IE11. Since the patch is cumulative, you only need the latest one, also available on AKB2000003.

At the top of AKB2000003 you will find some information on the telemetry patches to hide if they show up. We recommend installing the .NET Rollups and other MS product updates through Windows Update.

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #240811 Reply

RMeijer
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for your clarifications!  A quick check on my own W7 shows 9 existing KB3177467 files, all created on the same day in 2016 with 6 shown as type Security Catalog and 3 as type MUM files. Should they be removed before running latest Stack update?

• #240818 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

KB3177467 v2 was released in Oct 2018 – that is the one you need. No need to uninstall anything – supersedence will take care of it.

• #242045 Reply

phaolo
      AskWoody Lounger

Ok, I’ve downloaded the various patches.

I’ll skip IE’s 4483187 and use 4470199 instead, having read it’s quite bad for Win7.
      And for the NIC bug, it seems that installing 4099950 + pciclearstalecache.exe before 4088878 could avoid it.

After Christmas I’ll make a backup, create a system image, then update and pray.. O_o’
      (maybe also the bios, even if the latest version was in may..)

• #242061 Reply

geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Avoid the Christmas rush and make your backup and system image now.

Group G{ot backup} Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
        1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #242299 Reply

phaolo
      AskWoody Lounger

Ok cool, I managed to do everything already.

Some issues so far:

– InSpectre reports that my CPU’s performance is slowed down with Win7 (even if that could have been avoided, according to them. Thanks MS). Not totally unexpected, but sad.
      – I couln’t install KB4100480 (EDIT: ah, superceded by kb4093108, but still listed in MS catalog) and netframe45 kb4054172 (a sub-patch for kb4054183).

EDIT: these 2 fixed themselved after another restart.. good, but weird
      – various programs set to run at Window’s start in the registry.. don’t seem to do it anymore.
      – XMouse and LogiOptions both stopped working (and if I try to run them, they just break the Start menu button until I restart Explorer). I’ll try reinstalling them.

• #242362 Reply

plodr
      AskWoody Plus

I imaged yesterday and this morning. I’ve installed 3 or 4 patches on 3 of the 4 computers in the house. I’m Group B.

Win 7 Home 32 bit and Win 7 Pro 32 bit: 4471328, 4483187 (since this is the same size as IE Cumulative Security only from Dec. 11th, 4470199, I chose to skip the earlier patch and install the out-of band one which is Cumulative), 4470600 .NET 3.5.1

Win 7 Home 64 bit: same as above and also 4470493 .NET 4.5.1

I’ve had no problems on those 3 computers.

Got coffee?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #242546 Reply

phaolo
      AskWoody Lounger

Uh oh.. the weird problem happened again:
      various programs set to run at Window’s start in the registry.. sometimew don’t do it.

Has anyone had this same issue?
      I could try creating some links in the Startup folder, but this situation is worrying.

I’ve also noticced this error in eventviewer:
      – EventID 1530
      – 1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\: Process 936 (\Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\

• #244137 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

Hi phaolo,

You mentioned that up until now, you had not installed any of the 2018 updates.

Event ID 1530 could be from your antivirus software. In early 2018 when Microsoft released its first updates to protect against Meltdown and Spectre, MS required antivirus (AV) manufacturers to test their products and to modify their products (if necessary) to be compatible with these updates which mostly protect against Meltdown. MS also required the AV manufacturers to set a special registry key to indicate that their product was compatible. Unfortunately, MS assumed that people would be using only one AV program. If you have installed two or more AV programs, then one AV program may be compatible with the 2018 updates (and did set the special registry key), yet any other installed AV programs may not be compatible.

Please make sure that all of your installed AV programs are up to date — not merely updated with the latest definitions, but also updated to the latest program versions. This applies even if you don’t run all of the installed AV software all of the time. For example, I manually run the free version of MBAM from time to time, just to make sure that my primary AV program hasn’t missed anything. Yet I had to manually update MBAM to the latest free version in order to make it compatible with Microsoft’s Meltdown and Spectre patches.

Best regards,

–GTP

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #245010 Reply

phaolo
          AskWoody Lounger

Event ID 1530 could be from your antivirus software.
          MS also required the AV manufacturers to set a special registry key

Thank you for the reply, but.. that can’t be the reason, because I’m not using any antivirus at all. Also, I knew about such key, but no update asked me to add it (maybe the requirement was removed afterwards?)

• #245053 Reply

geekdom
            AskWoody Plus

Your system may be infected. Download an off-line virus checker and check for malware.

When your system tests clean, install anti-virus software that includes real-time protection… and keep the virus software up-to-date.

Group G{ot backup} Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
            • #250514 Reply

phaolo
              AskWoody Lounger

Your system may be infected.

Nah, it would be the most harmless virus ever.
              Also, I still have Windows Defender enabled and I always check new installers with Virustotal online.
              But yeah, maybe in the future I’ll get an AV anyway.
              (by the way, I tried contacting Eset and Bitdefender for my office pc, but they both didn’t reply..)

• #243489 Reply

phaolo
      AskWoody Lounger

Can’t anyone help me with this?
      I have to start various programs manually after each boot :\
      Also, it seems that some programs’ windows positions aren’t saved from previous session.
      I tried running sfc /scannow, but it didn’t find any integrity violation..

• #243493 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

The “Start when Windows starts” is often an option in the menu/settings of each individual program. Check within each program and see it you can set it there.

Also, I have found that (sometimes) Window start size is set it you exit the program from its Menu/Exit option instead of closing it with the “X” at the top.

• #243497 Reply

phaolo
          AskWoody Lounger

I’ve already tried to reset the startup option inside the programs, but this seems some registry issue (see the error 1530 above). The keys are correctly present in the \Run sections as before the update.

About the windows, I’ll try that, but this feels related to the same problem because it never happened before.

Btw this doesn’t seem to be exactly the same event mentioned here:
          https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947238/event-id-1530-may-be-logged-in-the-application-log-on-a-windows-vista
          Because the normal 1530 errors usually (can) happen at shutdown and are related to third party programs. But Winlogon.exe suddenly doing this at boot??

• #243859 Reply

phaolo
      AskWoody Lounger

Btw, I noticed another minor but annoying change about symbolic links.
      When traversing folders in the Navigation pane, now Windows Explorer always jumps to their original path (like a normal link), instead of remaining in its current tree structure.

• #243886 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Hm, probably should check on that one some more.

Though Windows support for symlinks has been rather… variable. (And known to also have cases of “supported but known to not work”, and “not supported and known to work anyway”…)

Heh. Reminds me of certain MS-DOS era applications that depended on hard links… which were never supported there, but…

• #244468 Reply

phaolo
          AskWoody Lounger

Hm, probably should check on that one some more.

Uh, so.. did you try testing it too, by chance?

• #244917 Reply

anonymous

I trust microsoft as much as i do my ex wife. I search and get as much data as i can on each update.  Takes lots of time and p*** me off. Many updates are useless. Was doing well for much of 2018 until Nov and Dec 18 came out. I got lazy and i got had. For those 2 months of displeasure and lots of fine tooth combing it i trusted my gut. Before Dec updates with no real warnings on this, my computer booted up in 40 sec. After the updates that were said ok to use, it took 4 minutes to load. Not an exageration. I went to ready boot in computers events etc and stopped it all. The hard drive was constantly running for long time before letting me enter into windows. If any has the problem, go to events and switch it to circular. Or delete the piece of junk as i did. Dont need diagnostic to tell me my puter has been s*** with by microsoft..It fixed it and in 40 sec or less i am up and running

Edited for content. Please respect the –Lounge Rules

• #245008 Reply

phaolo
      AskWoody Lounger

Well, I somewhat managed to fix the 2 main problems:
      – programs not starting: I tried Safe Mode and then also edited some registry \Run entries missing quotations. That fixed it, it seems (btw, it wasn’t related to the 1530 error, which still happens sometimes and it’s probably “normal” according to MS).
      – stuck windows size & position: I tried temporally changing the screen resolution and updating the graphic drivers.. no change. Then I just used an option to tile the windows automatically and.. they somehow unfroze. XD

So, now only the simlinks annoyance remains.
      I also noticed that junctions kept their previous behaviour.
      If someone has Windows 7 (up to date): can you please test the Navigation Pane issue?

If you can see hidden folders, the easiest way to do it is here:
      “C:\Users\All Users\” is a symlink. Nav Pane jumps to “C:\ProgramData” now.
      “C:\Users\All Users\Documents” is a junction. Nav Pane stays in the same tree.

• #250046 Reply

phaolo
        AskWoody Lounger

Ok, I’ve asked about this problem elsewhere and other users helped me identify the culprit patch.
        It was the IE cumulative update KB4343900 fault! (and the following ones since June-August)

So.. how can we communicate this bug to MS? (if they’ll even care to fix this)

• #292383 Reply

phaolo
      AskWoody Lounger

It was the IE cumulative update KB4343900 fault!

I forgot to specify: in combination with Classic Shell.

Sadly, such program isn’t going to be updated anymore.
      There is a replacement called Open-Shell, but I have no idea if it’s a worthy successor (and if it fixes this bug).

Anyway, here is the place where I discussed this:
      https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-win-explorers-ui-behaviour-changed-for-symbolic-links.78770/

• #292385 Reply

ch100
      AskWoody_MVP

It was the IE cumulative update KB4343900 fault!

I forgot to specify: in combination with Classic Shell.

Sadly, such program isn’t going to be updated anymore.
      There is a replacement called Open-Shell, but I have no idea if it’s a worthy successor (and if it fixes this bug).

Anyway, here is the place where I discussed this:
      https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-win-explorers-ui-behaviour-changed-for-symbolic-links.78770/

This is no bug.
      If you use unsupported software, don’t expect Microsoft to test the impact of their patches on it. They might even silently break it on purpose.
      You are essentially on your own to sort out the mess.

• #292399 Reply

phaolo
        AskWoody Lounger

unsupported software

So, basically everything..
        Yeah, I don’t trust MS very much nowadays.
        I wouldn’t have even updated Win7, if it wasn’t for Spectre & Meltdown.

• #309176 Reply

GoneToPlaid
          AskWoody Plus

Hi phaolo,

Don’t be so overly worried about Spectre and Meltdown. I have been overly paranoid about both, yet for no proven reason. Meltdown, and not Spectre, presently is the only one of the two which could be exploited when you browse the web. Yet fortunately, all of the major web browsers have been updated to prevent Meltdown class attacks. Microsoft also realized that Meltdown was by far the more serious threat. Microsoft has made many changes to Windows kernel code so that Windows itself can additionally mitigate against Meltdown attacks. This is why your computer runs a bit slower after installing the 2018 updates.

On the other hand, Microsoft’s 2018 updates include patches for a plethora of other types of security vulnerabilities. In this regard, I am happy to hear that you finally decided to get your computers updated. All of my Windows 7 computers presently are updated through November 2018, and are stable with no issues.

So let’s talk about your other issue — Classic Shell. Kudos to you for finally figuring out that the no longer supported Classic Shell was causing your issues. I think that this is an important discovery which you have made, especially since many other people might not realize that the more recent Windows Updates cause issues with Classic Shell.

I too desire my Windows 7 computers to both look like and act like Windows XP since my focus is on work and productivity, and not on using pretty themes or using the Aero interface eye candy. Yet at the same time, I wanted the equivalent of XP style fly-out Program menus. I also wanted all overlaid icon shortcut arrows to be the neat and small and tidy shortcut arrows which XP had, in comparison to Windows 7’s much larger overlaid shortcut arrows. All of this can be accomplished in pleasing and very usable ways without having to use Classic Shell at all.

Attached is a screenshot of one of one of my Win7 computer’s Desktop. You will see that all of my Desktop shortcuts use the XP style arrow on top of each Desktop icon. You will see that I configured the Taskbar with a Programs menu which, when clicked on, mimics the fly-out features of the Windows XP Programs menu. All of this is being done with a simple registry edit (MS supported) for the shortcut arrow which gets overlaid on top of all shortcut icons, the use of my custom created XP style theme for Windows 7, and the creation of a Toolbar (again, a MS supported feature) called Programs for the Windows 7 Taskbar.

My Programs Toolbar is what gives me the equivalent of XP style fly-out Program menus. My Programs Toolbar literally is a link to a folder called Programs. You can populate this folder as you wish with program shortcuts, and with program shortcuts which are grouped in fly-out sub-folders for specific types of program shortcuts, just as I have done. Looking at my screen capture, you should readily see that I am implementing the same fly-out equivalent as in Windows XP.

The most important upshots of all of the above are:

— I am not using symbolic links in anything.
          — I am not doing anything which is not supported by Microsoft
          — I have achieved both appearance and function which fairly closely matches the inherent appearance and productivity of Windows XP, since this was my goal in terms of OS functionality and productivity.

Best regards,

–GTP

Attachments:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 7 patch situation?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel