News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 7 service pack 2

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Win7 beyond End-of-life Windows 7 service pack 2

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

anonymous

I backup my computer files and documents (onto blank DVD disks) about twice a year, format my hard drive then reinstall windows 7 back onto it, followed by all the security updates (via – windows updates) and then reinstall the backed up files.

What will happen to all the old security updates after Jan 2020, will Microsoft make a service pack 2, will Windows Update still be able to search and find them for me or will I have to try and find them all on the Microsoft catalogue myself – remember there are over 200 updates so far

• #1744855 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody_MVP

Service packs are dead end for Windows and Office, no more SPs

the updates will still exist in Windows Update, at least until 2023

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1744980 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

There was a convenience roll-up KB3125574 (regarded by some as the unofficial SP2) early last year, but as abbodi86 says, there’s no SP2 for Windows 7 nor is there likely to be, unfortunately.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #1745015 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

It is possible to create an ISO file based on your existing OS installed updates. You’ll find some details here, as a starting point:
      Windows 7: Create patched ISO from existing up-to-date installation?

It’s also possible on other OS, i.e. Win10 machines:
      How to create a Windows 10 ISO image for clean, in-place upgrade and repair install

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1745067 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

kb3020369 1st
      kb3125574 2nd
      Followed by:
      *kb3138612
      *kb947821
      or instead of the last 2* the provisions of this page should speed up update seek time considerably: http://wu.krelay.de/en/

Or alternatively if you have Win7 Home Prem, Pro or Ult x64, x86 you can get the updated Aug 2018 images here ready made but the x64 .wim files are over 4gb so may cause problems with Rufus, necessitating spliting the install.wim. Gimagex (free) can do that as well as creating 500 mb’s splits for burning to .iso disk(s). Either way you choose your going to save quite a bit of time.

• #1745130 Reply

BobbyB
        AskWoody Lounger

PS
        kb3020369 1st
        kb3125574 2nd
        Followed by:
        *kb3138612
        *kb947821
        (should/can be installed with Network OFF all the above from Desktop especially the KB’s marked * gives an update seek time of 20-30mins)

• #1746465 Reply

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

AVOID installing KB3020369 as THAT update is OBSOLETE and replaced by newer updates like KB3177467 and KB4490628.

Substitute KB3020369 with either KB3177467 or KB4490628 as either one can be installed first

• #1745710 Reply

Steve S.
        AskWoody Plus

Apparently, these iso’s include all updates through August 2018 including the ‘telemetry’ updates. If you are in the Group B camp, this might not be what you want.

Win7 Pro x64 (Group B), Win10 Pro x64 1809, Linux Mint + a cat with 'tortitude'.

• #1746466 Reply

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

all except KB3020369 which the August 2018 Win7 ISOs have KB3177467 instead

• #1746696 Reply

Ascaris
      AskWoody_MVP

Why would you do that?  Is Windows getting so messed up in only six months that you need a full reinstallation?

If you must do this, why not get it all updated, get your programs installed, get it all configured, then take an image of it, and restore that each time instead of installing from scratch?

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.2).

• #1746985 Reply

anonymous

I format every six months (or so) because that is how often I do a backup of all my folders and files, as I now have an up to date backup I use that opportunity to also format my hard disk as that keeps my computer going fast (it seems to slow down over time)
      I did try to do a system image once onto DVD disks but the computer told me I would need a lot of disks (I think it said something like 13) I have been considering using the program built into windows 7 to make a system image and saving it onto an external usb hard disk or usb memory key but I am not sure how big it would need to be
      I would still save all my documents music/games etc onto DVD disks separately though

• #1747129 Reply

anonymous

I should say that I do try and avoid all the updates that contain telemetry (aka –Microsoft spyware)

Thanks to everyone that has already posted, I do appreciate all your help

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 7 service pack 2

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.