News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 8.1 Post Patch Maintenance

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Windows 8.1 Post Patch Maintenance

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Microfix 7 months ago.

• Author

Microfix
      Da Boss

Caveats and Warnings:
      Tip: You may wish to create a system image prior to carrying out this maintenance 😉

Notes:
      I don’t use System Restore (it’s disabled via Group Policy)
      I do not use registry cleaners
      This maintenance procedure has been carried out over several months with success on two devices using W8.1 Pro x64.
      I am not responsible for borking your OS, this is purely AT YOUR OWN RISK should you wish to continue.
      With this in mind this is applicable for systems with an SSD. HDD will differ (defragmenting taking longer)
      Once these processes have run, there is no option to uninstall any misbehaving SMQR patch, you’ll have to either wait for a fix, live with it or re-image your system.

Background:

Once I’ve installed SQMR patches for Windows 8.1 Pro x64, I usually check that all my required programs/ hardware and peripherals are running as they should without any patch related issues.
      After a few days, I’ll do a post-patch system clean as below.

So let’s begin..

1. First disconnect the device connection from the internet.

2. Then I usually clean the browser cache (outwith the variable scope of this topic i.e. different browsers/ 3rd party utilities) I use CCleaner and Bleachbit to remove temp files etc.. Your preferred choice may vary.

3. Next we need to access ‘services’ via the Windows ‘search programs and files’ by typing: services
      Once in services, scroll down to the following services highlight them and then right click and select STOP.

Windows Update
      Background Intelligent Transfer Service
      Cryptographic Services

At this point I normally use DISM++ but, due to the nature of this topic, I’ll keep it simple by using Microsoft supplied tools.

4. Then access ‘Disk clean-up’ via the Windows ‘search programs and files’
      by typing: Disk clean-up

Microsoft Disk clean-up will then start and the interface appears as below:

Once the interface appears, click [Clean up system files] in the interface which can take time dependant on your device hardware.

Once again the interface will appear.

Be sure to tick all boxes in the interface dialogue box.
      Another pop up will appear stating:
      ‘Are you sure you want to permanently delete these files’
      click [Delete Files] to clean the excess patch files and various temp files.

5. After completion of disk clean up, go to Control Panel > Action Center > Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance then click the Start Maintenance link as below:

Be prepared for a long wait as the program scans and arranges your system. Once this has completed, continue on to 6.

6. Click Start In Windows ‘search programs and files’ type: dfrgui
      Highlight your primary drive, and click [Optimise]

This should take a few minutes dependant on volume of data and size of SSD

That’s it, your system should feel more responsive with optimised files.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 8.1 Post Patch Maintenance

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.