News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows’ built-in Reliability Monitor

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Windows’ built-in Reliability Monitor

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Tracey Capen
        AskWoody MVP

LANGALIST By Fred Langa This hidden gem of an app usually can pinpoint — in copious detail! — exactly what’s causing PC glitches. Built in
        [See the full post at: Windows’ built-in Reliability Monitor]

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2310420 Reply
        anonymous

Hey Fred, Erratic behaviour of perfmon /report confirmed on Lenovo W540 running Win 10 Pro 1904. First ran it from Win search box as “administrator”, and it took me to the Performance Monitor “Overview with System Summary” landing page, if you will, and the System Diagnostics report section showed “no data”.  Then ran it from search box without administrator privileges and got the collecting data message, waited 2 minutes, then closed the window.  Ran perfmon /report again with admin privileges, and was returned to the Overview/Summary page, and now the System Diagnostics report folder actually has a report in it.  I note that the collecting data window can be closed by clicking File-Exit, so it leaves me wondering if the collection app is actually hanging or if it is just ignoring the 60 seconds timer and waiting for you to kill it?  Either way, it is still erratic. just my too sense…

Dave S.

From Guam – where America’s Day Begins!

• #2310504 Reply
        WSDKS01
        AskWoody Plus

Reliability Monitor is also available through Control Panel ==> System and Security ==> Security and Maintenance ==> Reliability Monitor. And that is the most recent Insider Dev Channel release, too.

• #2311150 Reply
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Thank you for your article. Its good to have one place, where this is sumarized. But still Im trying to figure out whats the purpose. Nice table of “what went wrong”? Success!
        Example: My excel crashed. I want to know why.
        So I go to this report and see this

excel

Telling me, that my excel crashed with exception c0000005

Thats traditional Windows troubleshooting. In other words “you are stuck between the rock and the hard place”, use google to troubleshoot your issue.
        All this information can be found in Windows logs – which I recommend to learn everybody to use. This RM is nicely looking interface, which just reminds me which application crashed. Nothing useful for me there. I prefer Windows logs.
        And to be honest, maybe this function is present since W7 or earlier and it shouldnt take more than one day of programming, since its just report from already existing data.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Attachments:
        • #2311153 Reply
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

The most useful information from Windows logs is missing in RM – its missing event ID.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• #2311213 Reply
        tcc089
        AskWoody Plus

Many thanks Fred.  However, my Win 10 1909 version does not seem to have the Reliability Monitor.  When I type perfmon /rel into the search box as per your article in the newsletter, it does nothing.  If I load perfmon on its own, there is no Reliability branch in the navigation.

Your article said that all versions of Windows have this tool.  However, is this a Win Home vs. Win Pro thing?

Thanks, Tony.

• #2311365 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

I have W10 Home 1909, 18363.1139 and perfmon /rel works as expected.

Do you have all the Windows updates installed?

cheers, Paul

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows’ built-in Reliability Monitor

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.