News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Defender Exclusions NOT working?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update Windows Defender Exclusions NOT working?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  b 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

MarkF
      AskWoody Plus

Win10 Pro 1903, up to date as of Jan 2020

I am also running Norton Internet Security and Malwarebytes Premium, and Windows Defender is set to OFF with respect to periodic scanning.

I have NAS storage, and whenever I drag and drop from the NAS folders to my laptop, or even between the NAS folders, a Windows Security popup shows up stating “These files might be harmful to your computer”.  I can click OK and the warning goes away.

As per information I found when this started happening, I these NAS drives as Exclusions in Windows Defender.  I confirmed they were added by looking at the Windows Defender registry keys.

However, I still get the popups every time.

I also temporarily added the drives as exclusions in Norton and Malwarebytes, but that also did not stop the Windows Security popups (as I expected… why would it?… the problems is with Windows itself).

As I said, I can click OK when the popup shows up, but it is a hassle doing it every time.

Since nothing I found using Google works, I thought I’d ask here.

Is this a known “bug” in Windows?  Is there any workaround?

Thanks,

-Mark

• #2110421 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

Are you adding the target folders to the exclusion list?

--Joe

• #2110493 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

If the NAS is accessed by IP address, it may need Local Intranet settings in Internet Options:

Disable “These files might be harmful to your computer” on Windows (YouTube video)

(I.E. Not Windows Defender-related)

Microsoft Edge, Win 10 Pro 1909: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Defender Exclusions NOT working?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.