News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Defender False Positives?

Posted on RetiredGeek Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows Defender False Positives?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ScotchJohn 1 month ago.

• Author

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

Hey Y’all,

Yesterday I got this:

Virus-in-lnk-file
      Actually I got 3 of them. They are all shortcut files that I created. I scanned again with Defender and got the same thing. I scanned with Malwarebytes Premium and no issues.

So I tried a scan with Defender offline and it all went away. Go figure. 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2020041 Reply

ScotchJohn
      AskWoody Plus

I also have false positives on Process Hacker, which I have restored, restored and restored again.  I think that WD has given up.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

• #2020223 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I also get false positives on Process Hacker on occasion and have to restore it from quarantine, then all is well once more.  Malwarebytes 4.04 doesn’t see it as a threat.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
      "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #2020719 Reply

ScotchJohn
      AskWoody Plus

I uninstalled Process Hacker for just now, more trouble than it’s worth.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Defender False Positives?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.