News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Defender Flags CCleaner as PUA:Win32/CCleaner

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Tools Windows Defender Flags CCleaner as PUA:Win32/CCleaner

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Certain installers for free and 14-day trial versions of CCleaner come with bundled applications, including applications that are not required by CCleaner or produced by the same publisher Piriform. While the bundled applications themselves are legitimate, bundling of software, especially products from other providers, can result in unexpected software activity that can negatively impact user experiences. To protect Windows users, Microsoft Defender Antivirus detects CCleaner installers that exhibit this behavior as potentially unwanted applications (PUA).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?Name=PUA:Win32/CCleaner&ThreatID=277099

Folks : Just move to portable ccPortable.

• #2284211 Reply
        satrow
        AskWoody MVP

Just learn to look at what you’re electing to install and uncheck anything that you don’t want to install.

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2284229 Reply
        CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

I use CCleaner free and ever since Piriform was bought out, there is something that has to be unchecked on every update.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
        4 Win 10 Pro at 1909 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2284340 Reply
          CADesertRat
          AskWoody Plus

I have Free CCleaner v 5.68 installed and so far I haven’t had any indication of a Defender problem with it. Defender ran this morning and shows that there are no App problems or any other problems.

Since Defender updates every day, I wonder why it’s not showing any problems with CCleaner if this is an issue?

• #2284345 Reply
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

wow, so glad I still use v5.32.6129 portable with a modified winapp2.ini file.
          No fuss, no updates and no tickbox trickery.

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
          • #2284362 Reply
            Alex5723
            AskWoody Plus

I used the portable CCleaner with winapp2.ini but switched to ccPortable with winapp2.ini.

• #2284234 Reply
        MikeFromMarkham
        AskWoody Plus

Portable CCleaner doesn’t have unnecessary c*** bundled with it. If you prefer to use the installable version, download it from ninite.com, they strip all the crud from all the installers they offer.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2284265 Reply
          satrow
          AskWoody MVP

Copy/paste the x2 .exe files from the portable .zip over those already on your machine.

• #2284302 Reply
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

and stick an outbound firewall rule on the executable.
          You don’t need both exe’s, only one that’s applicable to your OS bitness.
          x64 or x86(with no indication in exe name)

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
      • #2284299 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

from BleepingComputer site – Microsoft now detects CCleaner as a Potentially Unwanted Application

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-now-detects-ccleaner-as-a-potentially-unwanted-application/

I’ve already given up using CCleaner by the end of 2019 as I’m now using either BleachBit or Wise Disk Cleaner on all my PCs and never looked back

• #2284336 Reply
          CADesertRat
          AskWoody Plus

From the BleepingComputer article (I didn’t know this):

Full disclosure: BleepingComputer is an affiliate of Piriform.

• #2284301 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

BleachBit is here:

https://www.bleachbit.org/

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox80.0b4 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Defender Flags CCleaner as PUA:Win32/CCleaner

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.