News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Defender manual update pop up

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows Defender manual update pop up

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I run Windows Defender on two machines, W8.1 and W10. Both regularly pop up messages saying Defender needs to be updated and to click to update. I can’t find any settings to change the updates to automatic.
        What part of real time virus protection means “we won’t update unless you tell us to”?
        Is it because I don’t let the machines automatically install Windows updates? (w10 has a “metered” connection, W8.1 is set to check manually, although Defender checks automatically on both.)

cheers, Paul

• #2278942 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

I have WU set to ‘check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them’ I think setting this to automatic will affect how Defender recieves delta packages also. Sorry ain’t going there 🙂

I search for updates manually rather than allowing anything in automagically (now a habit)
        From my observations over the years, Win 8.1 Defender seems to check for the rolled-up major updates and the delta minor updates seem to be ignored unless an update is requested by the end-user via WU or within the Defender interface. That usually occurs 3-4 times a day for Delta updates and once a day for the major updates.

I’ve never had any pop up on two of three Win8.1 devices using Defender.

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
      • #2279054 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I’ve never had any pop up on two of three Win8.1 devices using Defender

Does that mean you get a pop up on one?

cheers, Paul

• #2279109 Reply
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Nope, the third PC uses BitDefender.

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
      • #2279245 Reply
        PFC
        AskWoody Plus

Nope, the third PC uses BitDefender.

does BitDefender use prevent microsoft defender antivirus updates from being applied?

I have a Surface pro 3 and a Dell XPS 2720 both windows 10 pro both at Version 2004 (I know). The XPS has BitDefender running the sp3 only microsoft defender. Update history on sp3 shows up to date definition updates for Defender, the xps stopped defender updates about a week after 2004 upgrade. I manually updated the xps today.  I also set the xps to do occasional defender scans. Just wondering

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by PFC.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Defender manual update pop up

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.