News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Defender Platform update KB4052623 Error 0x80070643

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows Defender Platform update KB4052623 Error 0x80070643

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        juans
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi everyone, I’m having problems with defender platform updates from months. EVERY time there’s an update kb4052623 I got error 0x80070643.
        Last times afters various attempts I installed them, but this time I have no luck with 4.18.2003.8. I have not others antivirus installed.

I tried EVERYTHING:
        sfc /SCANNOW
        Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
        Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
        Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
        Windows update troubleshooter
        Netfx repair tool
        Manual update
        Update directly from windows defender
        Windows clean boot
        Renamed Software distribution e catroot2 dir
        Tool wureset from wureset.com.

No problems with others windows updates.
        Please help me. Thanks.

• #2210913 Reply
        mledman
        AskWoody Plus

Have you tried the windows update troubleshooter?  settings > update & security > troubleshoot > windows update

Win 10 home - 1909
        Attitude is a choice...Choose wisely

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2210919 Reply
        juans
        AskWoody Lounger

Yes, I tried

• #2210977 Reply
        mledman
        AskWoody Plus

Ah, missed that in your list.  Sorry.

I assume neither  DISM or SFC found problems.  Is “Netfx repair tool” the microsoft tool? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2698555/microsoft-net-framework-repair-tool-is-available  You could run chkdsk to check for drive errors.

Win 10 home - 1909

• #2211016 Reply
        juans
        AskWoody Lounger

I found some errors with dism e sfc some months ago about some defender files but they have been corrected.  Netfx repair tool is the microsoft one and i tried chkdsk too. Really don’t know what else to try

• #2211168 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

@Juans- please tell people when you are cross posting.

On 10Forums you were given a link to a very comprehensive article on Lifewire:

The error 0x80070643 message is usually the result of system settings being configured incorrectly, a malware or virus infection, a driver malfunction, corrupted files, a system file having been deleted, or old versions of programs that haven’t been properly removed when a new version was downloaded.

A 0x80070643 error can also occur when a Windows computer or tablet is shutdown incorrectly or disconnected from a power source while in use.

They then give specific steps, from simple to more complex. Going down their list- you have re-tried, and re-down loaded, having tried both manual and updating from within Windows Defender.

Sometimes running other programs can affect an update or installation by accessing important files and using up device resources. Try closing all open programs on your computer and quit any running in the background like Telegram, Google Chrome, or Skype.

I’m assuming that you did the above, since it was on the list you were referred to. Just being systematic here.

Restart Windows Installer? Maybe? I know you said that other updates are not having problems… but did you do this?

It looks like you have, indeed, tried everything else on the list.

From MajorGeeks:

Another possibility is that you uninstalled an antivirus program, but it didn’t completely uninstall. Your best bet is to reinstall the antivirus software, then uninstall it using a program uninstaller like IObit Uninstaller. If you were using a brand name antivirus, you could try to find their own uninstall tool. Mcafee and Norton offer tools to completely uninstall their antivirus if you suspect that’s your problem.

Even if you use an official, brand specific, uninstaller, you may still have parts on your system. I found Everything search great for finding those traces… and ended up having to go into the registry to remove them (only time I’ve messed with the registry!).

The one area of possible cause that I don’t see you have pursued, is a malware or virus infection. I’m rather systematic- again, MajorGeeks has a comprehensive Malware Removal Guide. They run scans and tools in a specific order, with specific settings for each operating system, to reveal anything that might be hiding.

The easiest way to recover would be to have a current image, from before the problem occurred. Your post on 10Forum was from October 2019- this has been going on for a long time… I admire your persistence!

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

• #2211206 Reply
        mledman
        AskWoody Plus

Juans, considering how long you have struggled with this, I think resetting or reinstalling windows is the best next option.

Win 10 home - 1909

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2211231 Reply
        juans
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi Elly, even if I forgot to write every single steps, I assure you that  I tried everything on that list on lifewire.

I did a clean os installation on July and never installed other antivirus software. I actually don’have any image before october 2019.

As already mentioned, the past months I managed to update the platform after several failed attemps without any apparent reason, but this time it seems impossible.

For the use I make of the pc, I categorically exclude the presence of malware. I’m thinking about refreshing Windows 10 keeping my files, but it’s quite annoying and maybe a little bit exaggerated for one single stupid update:(

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by juans.
        • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by juans.
      • #2211336 Reply
        juans
        AskWoody Lounger

After turning on the computer this morning, the update installed itself without any other action on my part, as happened the past few times. When and if it happens again at the next platform update, I believe I will have to try an In-place Upgrade. For now, thanks guys!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Defender Platform update KB4052623 Error 0x80070643

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.