News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Defender Update offered to Windows 7 machine

Posted on lightbulb Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Windows Defender Update offered to Windows 7 machine

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  agoldhammer 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

lightbulb
      AskWoody Plus

Hello all,

I’m in Group B, Win 7 Starter 32bit, and now Win 7 is no longer supported, have bought 0 patch PRO updates, and set my Windows Updates from never check to check but let me choose whether to download and install. Despite Defcon 2, I have installed January’s Security Update, IE11 update, and SSU.

I’ve now been offered a Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender  Antivirus (KB915517 – Version 1.307.2927.0). As far as I understand it, Windows Defender will not run on Win 7, and I use MSE. Why have I been offered this, and should I install it or ignore (hide) it?

• #2100222 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Plus

I could be wrong, but I believe that that’s the new name for virus definitions put out by Microsoft for both MSE and Windows Defender.

My Windows 7 machines (all Group B, too) run the original version of Windows Defender, which was billed as “anti-malware” back in the day and is less comprehensive than MSE (which was confusingly renamed WD in Windows 10). Their definitions updates for WD have that same KB number, 915597, and in fact the computer I’m typing this on is right now being offered your same version, 1.307.2927.0.

So you should be fine accepting that update.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2100257 Reply

agoldhammer
      AskWoody Plus

MSFT Security Essentials will still be updated for Win7 PCs until 2023.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Defender Update offered to Windows 7 machine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.