News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Defender, Windows firewall, and McAfee LiveSafe

Posted on CWBillow Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows Defender, Windows firewall, and McAfee LiveSafe

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by

CWBillow 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

CWBillow
      AskWoody Plus

When I (just) got my HP laptop, it came with LiveSafe via HP.  But of course Windows 10 comes along with firewall and Windows Defender.

So now, do I keep both running, and, assuming that I should not, any opinions as to the overall effectiveness of one over the other?

Chuck Billow

• #1746536 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

The McAfee LiveSafe installed on your new HP laptop is just a 30-day, 180-day or 1 year *trial* version (albeit full-featured).

After the trial ends McAfee hopes you are sufficiently hooked into using it (or dependent on it) to pay a subscription fee to continue using it. See this HP page for more info.

It’s your decision if you want to add another protection service into your mix.

(I’ve been using Windows 10 since it came out using just Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium without a single problem. It’s been years since I bought a new laptop but the very first thing I would do is carry out a clean install of Windows 10 to get rid of any OEM bloatware [then take a backup] … but that’s just me.)

Hope this helps…

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1746550 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

I personally don’t like McAfee, seen too many computers where it slows them down. But I do have a current happy customer using Mcafee. I Agree with with Rick, Win Defender works well, has gotten very good ratings in the reviews lately. I enable it on computers now where I used to always install Norton, (which has become troublesome in my experience).

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by
         Vincenzo.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1746557 Reply

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

I didn’t want to add my own personal views about McAfee products – or any other AV provider – because over the years I’ve encountered some real stinkers. 🙂

It’s a balance between impact on performance and protection, which is how testing organisations like av-comparatives.org evaluate competitive products submitted for testing. Unfortunately, its Performance Test April 2019 shows Microsoft did quite poorly. On a happier note, its Malware Protection Test March 2019 shows Microsoft was amongst the best 5 rated products , whilst McAfee came in amongst the 2nd-best, due primarily to false positives (like several other well-known AV providers).

EDIT: Ha! I’ve just seen the latest AskWoody Plus Newsletter where this exact same subject is discussed! 🙂

• #1746758 Reply

CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

I have previously used BitDefender, which I in fact have an active license for now.  I’ve had pretty decent luck with it, while with ‘Defender’ I’ve had a couple of nasties sneak by on me.  I would normally just stay with BD, except that McAfee came with my new laptop, and touts recommended by HP, so I thought I’d ask around.  I have a few weeks left on the free trial to see how it does.

Chuck Billow

• #1746771 Reply

joep517
          AskWoody MVP

If you have had good results with BD stick with it. Why spend more $$$ on something else?

--Joe

• #1746687 Reply

Charlie
      AskWoody Plus

I’m assuming you must have the Win 10 version of Windows Defender?  Can the newest version of Windows Defender be installed on Win 8, 8.1, and 7 or does it only work with Win 10?

Win 7 Home Premium, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Groups B & L

• #1746691 Reply

joep517
        AskWoody MVP

Windows 10 Windows Defender is for Windows 10 only. You can not download it and install on prior versions of Windows. Periodically, Microsoft has released updates to the scanning engine on earlier versions of Windows.

--Joe

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1747523 Reply

CWBillow
      AskWoody Plus

If you have had good results with BD stick with it. Why spend more $$$ on something else?

Joe, I think you’re right.  On the one hand, MS wouldn’t have “suggested” it if it weren’t reasonable, but then, so is BD.

Chuck Billow

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Defender, Windows firewall, and McAfee LiveSafe

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.