News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows EULA

Home Forums Outside the box Windows EULA

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  WSstarvinmarvin 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

doriel
      AskWoody Lounger

Does Section 2. e. of Windows 10 EULA mean, that I cant make more than one backup copy of my computer? For example, is my VeeamBackup creating illegal copies according to this article? Do I have to delete old backups when new one is created?

2.e.: Backup copy. You may make a single copy of the software for backup purposes, and may also use that backup copy to transfer the software if it was acquired as stand-alone software, as described in Section 4 below.

I have more to come, lets have fun 馃檪

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
      --- Thomas A. Edison

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1746346 Reply

doriel
      AskWoody Lounger

Windows EULA

--- Thomas A. Edison

• #1746533 Reply

cyberSAR
      AskWoody Plus

I would take that to mean a copy of the installation media.

• #1747128 Reply

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Sounds good to me. I think, you get it right. Thank you for your opinion.

--- Thomas A. Edison

• #1746535 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

Do not bait Microsoft. The company has many lawyers and knows how to use them.

Group G{ot backup} TestBeta
      Win7Pro 路 x64 路 SP1 路 i3-3220 路 RAM 8GB 路 Firefox: uBlock Origin - NoScript 路 HDD 路 Canon Printer 路 Microsoft Security Essentials 路 Windows: Backup - System Image - Rescue Disk - Firewall
      • #1746880 Reply

anonymous

Good advice, They probably read this post themselves in person.

• #1806139 Reply

MrChaz
          AskWoody Lounger

and post anonymously!

illegitimi Non Carborundum
          • #1833897 Reply

anonymous

Who knows if they do post on non-corporate sites such as AskWoody? There was certainly no intent to claim being a lawyer.

• #1746881 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve always, since Win3.x, taken that “software backup” as meaning the software used to install on a computer, not the backing up of the computer.聽 It was quite important back then because of unreliability of the floppy disks.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
    • #1806039 Reply

doriel
      AskWoody Lounger

Yesterday, I posted something unpleasant on Microsoft forum and today conequences came. Microsoft is targeting me with spy tools. Not kidding – see atached picture. Every single coleague in the company is OK, this appears just for my account. Every computer has similar setup in our company, so it must be targeting me 馃檪

geekdom warned me, I was not listening 馃槈

--- Thomas A. Edison

Attachments:
    • #1809882 Reply

tonyl
      AskWoody Lounger

The EULA says “do not make illegal copies of this software”. What you’re doing, OP, is not “making illegal copies”. You’re making legal ones, and they’re not copies of “this software” anyway; they’re copies of your data. Even a disk image, if restored back on the machine whence it came, doesn’t transgress the licence.

Many people tend to think you’re not allowed to make illegal copies of the install disk, but there’s no such thing. The install disk is not software – it’s a piece of plastic. If anything, it’s hardware. It only becomes “software” when you install it on a hard drive (or SSD these days).

So. What’s an illegal copy? To me, it’s if you install it on two machines, when you only have a licence for one. Legally, you can make 1,000 copies of the disk, and I’m pretty confident a court (a British one, anyway; I wouldn’t presume to speak for those ones over there) would agree. You’d still only have one licence, and if you only install it one one machine (or whatever the licence says) you’re OK. Why, even MS themselves give instructions on how to slipstream a disk; that would be a copy, too.

• #1832555 Reply

WSstarvinmarvin
      AskWoody Lounger

I’ve always, since Win3.x, taken that “software backup” as meaning the software used to install on a computer, not the backing up of the computer.聽 It was quite important back then because of unreliability of the floppy disks.

Floppy disc unreliable – are you kidding? You might wish to reconsider. Look, I have the T-shirt that clearly states:

Floppy-Diskette

Attachments:
    • #1835648 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

WSstarvinmarvin wrote: Berton wrote: I鈥檝e always, since Win3.x, taken that 鈥渟oftware backup鈥 as meaning the software used to install on a computer, not the backing up of the computer. It was quite important back then because of unreliability of the floppy disks. Floppy disc unreliable 鈥 are you kidding? You might wish to reconsider. Look, I have the T-shirt

I got into computing after the 8″ disks were on their way out, had 5.25″ and 3.5″ drives in my Hewitt Rand 80386 computer with a whopping 120MB HDD and 4MB RAM with MS-DOS 5 and Windows 3.1.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
    • #1836109 Reply

WSstarvinmarvin
      AskWoody Lounger

WSstarvinmarvin wrote: Berton wrote: I鈥檝e always, since Win3.x, taken that 鈥渟oftware backup鈥 as meaning the software used to install on a computer, not the backing up of the computer. It was quite important back then because of unreliability of the floppy disks. Floppy disc unreliable 鈥 are you kidding? You might wish to reconsider. Look, I have the T-shirt

I got into computing after the 8″ disks were on their way out, had 5.25″ and 3.5″ drives in my Hewitt Rand 80386 computer with a whopping 120MB HDD and 4MB RAM with MS-DOS 5 and Windows 3.1.

Those were early days, indeed! I was living in England. There were several different personal computers around to buy, a 16K Coleco or Sinclair model here, a 32K model there. Software for one brand was not compatible with (most) other brands. Then along came a consortium of Japanese manufacturers who saw the wisdom of using a compatible operating system across several brands. They called it MSX. It was possibly/probably a version of DOS. I bought an original Panasonic MSX on sale for 80 pounds sterling. It was a keyboard with a 64K computer inside it. They supplied a couple of connecting cables, and you had to supply your own monitor or, in my case, a 26″ color TV plus a small cassette recorder. All of the software available for purchase was on cassettes. Insert a cassette, type Load “software name” and hit Enter. Then press the Play button on the cassette recorder. Now, go put the kettle on for tea. Software loaded and was ready to use in about two to three minutes. I had software cassettes for a word processor, a separate dictionary, a bridge game, and various other graphics games from Konami and others. My employer at work was replacing their printer with a new one, so I got the old printer for free. I created a lot of proposals, plans, project quotations, etc. on the MSX PC and printed them out. My independent consultancy clients inferred from my presentations and printed material that I had a large organisation simply because individuals at that time rarely had their own complete computer/printer setups. I spent many hours polishing up my Bridge skills and playing Blagger, Disc Warrior and other cutting edge games. Ahh, the good ol’ days!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows EULA

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.