News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Windows Home Server (WHS) V1 reinstall question

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows Home Server (WHS) V1 reinstall question

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Vmiguy
        AskWoody Lounger

My hard disk containing the WHS V1 operating system (OS) is experiencing bad sector problems and wouldn’t start up the OS resulting in. Memory dump and a blue screen of death.  I took the drive offline and repaired the bad sectors and can. Ow read it’s contents but the OS still won’t boot and gives me a missing file error.   Since I have Woody’s book “Windows Home Server for Dummies” I know I need to do a reinstall but should I try and reinstall the OS on the drive with the bad sectors or should I use a different (used) drive altogether?   And if you recommend a different drive, does it need to be the same (GB) size as the previous one or would any HDD big enough to accommodate the OS work?

Thanks in advance.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Throw that drive away, it has passed its useful life and will continue to deteriorate.

Get a new drive and restore the image backup you made before the disk failed. No re-install needed.

cheers, Paul

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Any size disk will work, even a smaller one as long as it is bigger than the data from the old disk.

cheers, Paul

anonymous

OK, so far so good.  System is up and running but I have to (re)install the drivers.  I remember that I should use the Windows Server 2003 drivers but I get a choice of 32 bit or 64 bit.  I assume it’s the 32 bit drivers but wanted to make sure.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Depends on the OS version. 64 bit OS should use 64 bit drivers.
        If you can’t find 64 use 32.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Windows Home Server (WHS) V1 reinstall question

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.