News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Windows.iso (Determine the version)

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows.iso (Determine the version)

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Mike
        AskWoody Plus

I have a file:  Windows.iso and would like to determine the Windows version if possible (2009, 20H2, 21H1…etc.)

Size:  4.24 GB

b
        AskWoody MVP

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1237 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Launch the installation from the ISO (like you were upgrading).
        If the windows is dark purple, its 1809, if the window is white its 1909 or newer 🙂 I know its not so accurate as @b suggested, but the color is indicator for me.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

If you use AutoHotkey you can automate the steps easily. For example:

#SingleInstance, Force
        If !A_IsAdmin
        	Run *RunAs "%A_AhkPath%" "%A_ScriptFullPath%"
        Process, Priority, , H
        Clipboard := ""  ; Clear the clipboard of any content
        FileSelectFile, SelectedFile, 3, , Select an install file, (install.wim; install.esd)
        if (SelectedFile = "")
          {
           MsgBox, The user didn't select anything.
           ExitApp
           }
        RunWait, %comspec% /c "dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:%SelectedFile% /index:1 |clip",,hide ;Pass the parameters to DISM
        MsgBox, %Clipboard% ; Display the result
        ExitApp

When run, this AHK script autoelevates the AutoHotkey executable (required by DISM) and displays a file selector preconfigured to only show install.wim or install.esd files. Point the file selector at a Windows installer (DVD, USB or mounted ISO file), drill down into the sources folder and select either install.wim or install.esd.

Clicking on the file selector’s Open button copies the information to the Windows clipboard and spits out a message box like this:

Detect-ISO-version

For a GIF animation showing it in action, see this: https://i.postimg.cc/hPCFDz5R/Detect-ISO-version.gif

If anyone would find this useful, I’ve attached the AHK script as a ZIP.

Detect-ISO-version

Hope this helps…

1 user thanked author for this post.
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Very elegant.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Very elegant.

Thank you.

I have a collection of USB sticks for Windows 10 and 11 installers. Sticky labels on them became smudged and looked untidy. It was taking too long to find the info manually in an elevated commandline console. Automating it to “point’n’click” saved me a LOT of typing (and trying to remember the convoluted DISM syntax). 🙂

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

@doriel – It you want to see ‘elegant’, ask @retiredgeek for a link to his Get-USBWinVer PowerShell script.

I came across it by accident on his public OneDrive folder. I’ve searched AskWoody but cannot find a post to it or about it.

It takes a different approach to my QAD method (Quick And Dirty – thrown together hurriedly, almost always with no consideration giver to error-checking) using a file selector to manually drill down to install.wim or install.esd files.

RG’s PS script uses a drive letter method instead then drills down programmatically. As usual his code is structured, documented and presented far more professionally than mine.

His PS script also includes the very useful ‘common name’ info – e.g. ’20H1′ instead of ‘10.0.19041’ –  that mine doesn’t:

Get-USBwinVers-03

Hope this helps…

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Windows.iso (Determine the version)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.