Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Media Player

Posted on karma244 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Tools Windows Media Player

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Seattle27 2 months ago.

• Author

karma244
      AskWoody Lounger

Hope this is right place for this question. Laptop with win10 1709. I want to play mp3s with Windows Media Player but when I use “open with” I have to dig down through browse to find it and choose it. But even after clicking on wmplayer.exe it won’t apply. To add to the oddity, wmplayer has a folder in both program files and program files (x86) howeverthe exe is only showing in the x86 folder. However, when I try to copy it in, the message says it is there so I tried showing hidden and it really is not.

Any ideas how to get it applied?

Related question, I added something to the open with choices that doesn’t belong. How do I remove it?

• #222151 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Have you used the methods shown on this page?
      https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-change-file-associations/

cheers, Paul

• #225576 Reply

karma244
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks. Tried everything and it doesn’t work. It will change from Winamp too VLC but not to win media player. But if I click the Media Player exe t opens and plays anything I drag in.

• #225588 Reply

Seattle27
      AskWoody Lounger

Regarding removing an unwanted ‘Open with…”, I had this blog post bookmarked from ghacks.net :

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/24/how-to-remove-open-with-programs-in-windows/

I don’t have any ideas about the mp3 / media player situation though.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Media Player

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.