News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Windows “Spotlight” tip.

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » Windows “Spotlight” tip.

Author
    Topic

I’m guessing that no one is losing any sleep over this, but I thought I’d pass it along. I really like the LockScreen “Spotlight” feature. (Ever changing pictures from Microsoft at log on.) The pictures are nice. Recently, it stopped working. It was stuck on one picture. Doing a little digging, I discovered it was a pic from the Windows directory. No Spotlight. This went on for a few weeks. Then a little lightbulb went off in my head. There was a Windows update. It reset the lockscreen mode without resetting the Spotlight checkbox. So, (at the lockscreen settings screen), I clicked the “Picture” box, changed the picture, then clicked back on “Spotlight”. Problem solved.

Or so I thought. Next time I came back to the computer, there’s the same old Windows picture. Another lightbulb went off. My wife logged on last time. I had to go into settings, and repeat the procedure for her screen name. Now, the problem is truly solved.

It’s too late to make a long story short, but when something changes, check to see if “update” messed with it. And reset everything on everyone’s profile.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Artie

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Thanks for the tip in case someone else stumbles across the same potentially annoying problem!

I have the lock screen set to display when I log off the computer but don’t shut it down because someone else is going to use it shortly, and sometimes the images are fantastic, leaving me wondering just where in the world they are.

As an added tip, to find out more details about these images from Windows spotlight, simply lock the computer while you’re logged into your account with Windows Spotlight set to be the lock screen image and you’ll then see details about the image. To find out its location, simply click the wording of “Like this image…?” and you’ll be told just where in the world the image was taken.

2 users thanked author for this post.

I also like the Windows Spotlight lockscreen pictures feature, and sometimes I like to save some of the better looking pictures to my own Pictures folder/directory that I named Lock Screen Assets, but anyone can make any name that they like to remember.
      Here is a link to a nice article By Mark Last updated Nov 10, 2021 at How to Fix Windows:
      How To Save Windows Spotlight Lock Screen Images In Windows 10
      And sometimes when I find that the pictures stop changing for awhile, like maybe no new pictures for 3 days, then I delete the settings.dat file as per the decent instructions by Madalina Dinita Posted on December 1, 2020 at an unusual website named technipages:
      Fix Windows Spotlight Lock Screen Picture Not Changing
      Note that some comments say it does not work for them, but it works for me. Maybe this may help some others who enjoy the Windows Spotlight photos.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Thanks Lars. Good info. And also, Themes and backdrops are equally affected.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Windows “Spotlight” tip.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.