News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Spotlite

Posted on Casey H Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  b 1 month ago.

• Author

Casey H
      AskWoody Plus

Hello All –

I’ve been here so frequently lately, that I feel I should invite you all over for dinner.  I have finished putting together my new WIN 10 computer & everything seems to be working perfectly, at least so I thought.  Quite a few months ago on my old WIN 10 computer (originally updated from WIN 7 and most recently updated to 1903), I noticed that the spotlite location information on my lockscreen had disappeared.  I finally gave up on trying to make it work.  Loading windows on my new computer, I was pleasantly surprised with the reappearance of same.  Alas in the process of changing the myriad of settings, the location data for the spotlite images has again disappeared.  I must have done something to kill it, but I have no ide what.  I’d like to get it back.  As always, any help would be appreciated.

Casey H.

• #2085889 Reply

Casey H
      AskWoody Plus

Something I forgot to add: said information appears if I actually lock the screen, something which I never do.  It’s just not there after logging off, which I do frequently as I share the computer with my wife, and an additional account that has admin privileges.

Casey H.

• #2085906 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

Not sure if this will fix it, but it’s worth a shot – it forces Win10 to reinstall the Spotlight app and its packages.

Get-AppxPackage -allusers *ContentDeliveryManager* | foreach {Add-AppxPackage “$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml” -DisableDevelopmentMode -register }

Run this command from a PowerShell window running as Administrator, and I would also reboot after doing so. (Not sure if a logoff/logon would suffice.)

• #2086778 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

TenForums.com has a Reset and Re-register Windows Spotlight batch file, which includes that re-register command, but also deletes existing Spotlight images which apparently helps:

How to Reset and Re-register Windows Spotlight in Windows 10

I’ve had to use it a couple of times, as Windows Spotlight can be rather fragile.

It’s been successful for me and a whole bunch of other people, but the bottom line there is important because it still requires some patience:

“Sometimes it may take up to 24 hours after resetting for Windows Spotlight to sync again.”

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

• #2089141 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Loading windows on my new computer, I was pleasantly surprised with the reappearance of same.  Alas in the process of changing the myriad of settings, the location data for the spotlite images has again disappeared.  I must have done something to kill it, but I have no ide what.  I’d like to get it back.  As always, any help would be appreciated.

Casey H.

I just realized that on your new computer you’re only missing the text captions on the lock screen, not the images themselves. The only explanation I know for that is if you have enabled “Secure sign-in” by requiring Ctrl+Alt+Del to unlock the lock screen: Captions do not appear with the images if the Ctrl-Alt-Del option is enabled (probably at Run, netplwiz, Advanced).

How to Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 10

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Spotlite

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.