Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Update can't automatically detect some of July 10 updates

Posted on misuser8 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Windows 8.1 (and Win 8) patches Windows Update can't automatically detect some of July 10 updates

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  misuser8 4 weeks ago.

• Author

misuser8
      AskWoody Lounger

Strange Things happen with Windows Update on my old desktop PC running Windows 8.1 pro 32 bit.

I have Windows Update set to automatically “Check for updates, but let me choose wheter to download and install them”.

I have to check for updates manually if I want two recent updates:

KB4338815 (Sequrity Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1) and

KB4340558 (Sequrity and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework) to appear among offered updates.

Every time Windows Update runs automaticaly, these two recent updates disappear from the list of available updates

and get replaced by superseded optional updates:

KB4338815 is replaced by KB4284863 which is superseded by KB4338815, and

KB4340558 is replaced by KB4291497 which is superseded by KB4340558.

I have to check for updates manually, to make KB4284863 and KB4291497 appear again instead of superseded KB4338815 and KB4340558.

Recently I uninstalled KB3044374, which is related to Windows Update, but was recommended to uninstall on this site.

Could uninstallation of KB3044374 affect Windows Update functionality some way that it is now unable to automatically detect recent updates?

• #204266 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

Microsoft originally released the monthly patches. But due to problems, they are now not showing up at all or showing up unchecked. Just be patient.MS may get their act together and work things out  (or not till next month).

That is why we are under DEFCON-1. It means, DO NOT patch at this time.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #205246 Reply

misuser8
      AskWoody Lounger

Since KB338831 (Preview Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1) has been released, Windows Update now does automatically detect KB4338815 and includes it in offered updates list.

KB4340558 has been reissued on July 19, but again, it is detected by Windows Update only if I intentionally click “Check for updates”. Whenever Windows Update runs automatically,  KB4340558 disappears from the list and KB4291497 appears instead, which is optional update superseded by KB4340558.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Update can't automatically detect some of July 10 updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.