News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Update Error 0x800f0922 KB4586781 

Posted on 2schnauzers Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 cumulative updates Windows Update Error 0x800f0922 KB4586781 

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Author
        2schnauzers
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi,

I have been having trouble getting the monthly cumulative updates to work on only one of my PCs. Previously I had posted getting into a Rollback situation. Per instructions from a member, I permanently paused/hid updates.

Recently I figured enough time (a few months) has passed so I let WU download the 2020-11 update KB4586781 and am getting error 0x800f0922. The information about this error on the internet is not helpful and I’ve tried a bunch of things that were suggested.  Any ideas how to diagnose or fix? Thanks!

• #2312681 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Download the patch direct from MS and try a manual install. That will determine if the issue is WU or the patch.
        https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4586781%20

cheers, Paul

• #2312694 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

You will probably need the associated SSU KB4586864 which should be installed FIRST (before the CU).

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2313205 Reply
        2schnauzers
        AskWoody Lounger

Per the instructions above I downloaded both and I tried to install KB4586864 and it said it was already installed. I then installed KB4586781 and it churned for a while, rebooted, did the countdown and finally failed and rolled back. There were no error messages or other info.

What now?

Note, I researched this on the net and there were a whole bunch of suggestions, most of which I tried.

• #2313253 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Now we need the update log to try to find the issue. See this article.
        https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/67283-read-windows-update-logs-windows-10-a.html

cheers, Paul

• #2313278 Reply
        2schnauzers
        AskWoody Lounger

Paul, I have attached the log. I looked through it but nothing jumped out at me.

Attachments:
      • #2313289 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

That log show the update downloaded successfully.

Now we need the CBS log to check the installation.
        CBS.log %systemroot%\Logs\CBS

cheers, Paul

• This reply was modified 5 days, 13 hours ago by Paul T.
      • #2313295 Reply
        2schnauzers
        AskWoody Lounger

here you go. Thanks for your help.

Attachments:
      • #2313364 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I can’t see any sign of a rollback in that log.

Can you rename the log, retry KB4586781, then post the new log?

cheers, Paul

• #2313365 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

It may be better to install the MSU from the command line to enable logging.

wusa C:\PATH-TO-UPDATE\NAME-OF-UPDATE.msu /log

cheers, Paul

• #2313366 Reply
        Susan Bradley
        Da Boss

Can you try this tip on the app readiness service?  [Fix] Error 0x800F0922 When Installing a Windows Update » Winhelponline

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #2313482 Reply
        2schnauzers
        AskWoody Lounger

OK i tried the stuff from the article on readiness service, the service was already set to Manual, i tried to see about the diagnostic partition but when I mounted it, it showed about 92mb free but a Dir showed nothing in it??

Anyway I renamed both log files to start fresh and have attached the new logs as the update failed and rolled back. UhOh the new cbs.log file is 68MB!!! compressed it is 3.8Mb too big to attach. I was able to use 7zip so it will fit but it didn’t allow that filetype to be uploaded so I renamed to .zip but will need 7zip to open. Sorry

Thanks!

Attachments:
      • #2313668 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The CBS log didn’t upload.

Can you rename the CBS log and then manually install KB4586781 with the log option? Hopefully the resulting log will be smaller.

cheers, Paul

• #2315059 Reply
        2schnauzers
        AskWoody Lounger

ok I tried it again, I wasn’t around for after it rebooted to install but assume it failed as it is still prompting me to download the update KB4586781

Attachments:
    Viewing 13 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Update Error 0x800f0922 KB4586781 

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.