News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Update fails 0x80242000 no remote process is available

Posted on georgea Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows Update fails 0x80242000 no remote process is available

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  georgea 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

georgea
      AskWoody Lounger

I’m stumped.  W10 1903, last updated July 2019 [hasn’t been used much since then].  All updates download but fail to install: 0x80242000 SUS_E_UH_REMOTEUNAVAILABLE “The caller requested a remote object, but no remote process is available”

Windows update log:
      ERROR: Remote update handler container process created (PID: 1540), but exited before signaling event
      2020/01/23 21:22:24.6607880 2872 6212 Handler UH: Attempted to request a remote handler without first starting a remote server

I’ve run the update troubleshooter, and scripts that completely nuke/reset windows update; dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth; SFC /scannow.  Nothing helps.

Can’t do a feature update.  Running 1909 setup from the install media within windows won’t open; gives spinning circle for 2 seconds. Can’t upgrade and keep everyting when booting from install media.

Windows 10 Update Assistant runs and seems to install 1909, complete with “your update is ready you need to restart to complete the update”, but on reboot it didn’t.  No error message.

I did have StopUpdate10 running, but uninstalled it, rebooted – no change.

Ran System Restore to go back as far as possible [Sept 2019].  No joy.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  Thanks – George

• #2097265 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Try this downloadable batch file to reset windows update components (and re-register .dll’s):

How to Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 (TenForums.com)

(Follow instructions to; unblock before, run as admin, restart after.)

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  b.
      • #2100149 Reply

georgea
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks; did that [as admin].  No joy.  I suspect a clue to the problem is “Attempted to request a remote handler without first starting a remote server” but I don’t know what that means.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Update fails 0x80242000 no remote process is available

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.