News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Update – Installs OLD HP Software

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update Windows Update – Installs OLD HP Software

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cmptrgy 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

cwr64
      AskWoody Lounger

Running W10 64bit level 1903 on Dell desktop PC.

Windows Update every month at least, keeps offering me (and installing) this “update”:

Hewlett-Packard – USB – 2/10/2017 12:00:00AM – 44.1.24021741 (15)

I have never selected to install this update, but Windows Update does install it – then in a week or 3, it appears once again in Windows Update, offering for me to “install now”.

This is NOT the current level of this software from HP.

I asked in an HP forum why Microsoft Windows Update was installing OLD HP software and the HP employee replied that he really did not know.

So why is Windows Update installing the same OLD HP software again and again?

• #1961533 Reply

anonymous

These forced old driver updates happen frequently, or even being offered a non existent product (i.e. Intel chipset driver for an AMD system) driver update.

I found many of these in the download catalog. Perhaps Microsoft’s machines and Windows update think you need to have for Windows 10 to use later, kind of like how squirrels hide nuts in the Fall.  Maybe the metadata has wrong descriptions; If you do not own an HP Envy/Deskjet (etc.) printer or want purposefully hide the driver try use the wushowhide tool.

Instructions for wushowhide, complicated or simple.

• #1965384 Reply

cmptrgy
      AskWoody Plus

Running W10 64bit level 1903 on Dell desktop PC.

Windows Update every month at least, keeps offering me (and installing) this “update”:

Hewlett-Packard – USB – 2/10/2017 12:00:00AM – 44.1.24021741 (15)

I have never selected to install this update, but Windows Update does install it – then in a week or 3, it appears once again in Windows Update, offering for me to “install now”.

This is NOT the current level of this software from HP.

I asked in an HP forum why Microsoft Windows Update was installing OLD HP software and the HP employee replied that he really did not know.

So why is Windows Update installing the same OLD HP software again and again?

I don’t know if this is the exact same Sunday but you posted the same issue here
      https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/windows-update-keeps-updating-hp-obsolete-usb-driver.240970/
      That’s ok, to me it verifies you want to stop that.

Your issue is
      “Windows Update every month at least, keeps offering me (and installing) this “update”:
      Hewlett-Packard – USB – 2/10/2017 12:00:00AM – 44.1.24021741 (15)”

Without knowing more: what is the connection between your Dell desktop PC & “Hewlett-Packard – USB – 2/10/2017 12:00:00AM – 44.1.24021741 (15)”

If your PC is a Dell desktop, it might make sense to use their Dell Support Assist?
      — Also on their website, you should be able to determine the original configuration of the original OS vs. the present configuration?

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

• #1967111 Reply

cmptrgy
      AskWoody Plus

@cwr64 do you have an HP printer connected via USB?
      Let’s follow up on “This is NOT the current level of this software from HP”

If so follow anonymous’s post #1961533 to hide the driver.
      — Then install “the current level of this software from HP”.

It might be wise to uninstall what’s presently installed first
      — Use HP’s Support Assistant to recognize the printer and continue from there.

Another option is look up your HP’s printer software.
      I have an HP Envy 5540 IO
      Looked up Software and drivers for HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer
      https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-5540-All-in-One-Printer-series/5447939/model/5447940

It’s basic driver is from Apr 24, 2017.
      Then there’s Firmware, Software & Utility- Diagnostic Tools plus Software-ePrint.

I know it doesn’t answer your most important question “So why is Windows Update installing the same OLD HP software again and again?”
      — However, go into Device Manager and check the Universal Serial Bus controllers and see if there are yellow “markers” or on any other entries such as Other devices if there is such an entry.

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Update – Installs OLD HP Software

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.