• Windows Update KB5032189

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Windows 10 version 22H2 » Windows Update KB5032189

Author
    Topic

Hi. Update KB5032189 has failed three times now. Could someone point me in the right direction to fix this?

I have paused all updates for a couple of weeks to see if there is anything I can do.

Windows 10 22h2

Thank you

Viewing 7 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

+ In Settings\Windows Update\View update history: What error code are you getting?
      + Have you tried disabling you A/V before updating?
      + Have you updated you drivers? Look in Control\PanelDevice Manager – are there any marked with the yellow triangle?
      + In an elevated Command Prompt (Run as Admin), run and report errors:
      chkdsk /f (reboot as required)
      DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      sfc /scannow
      + If you still have problems, clear the datastore (come back for instructions)

Hi. Thanks for the response.

The KB0532189 updates do not show in Update History. AV is Windows Defender. No Driver updates.

In the Searchbar, type winver and hit enter. What Edition of Windows (Home or Pro), version and Build (19045.xxxx)?

No Driver updates

Did you check the computer OEM and the device OEMs (drivers from MS not recommended)? Look for video drivers first.
          How about the commands – what results? Any errors?

Windows Version: Home Edition

build: 19045.3570

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore

and

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

Checked – nothing new

Did you check the computer OEM and the device OEMs (drivers from MS not recommended)? Look for video drivers first.

The Manufacturer’s websites are not on your C:\ drive.

How about the commands – what results? Any errors?

Did you get any errors?

Have you tried clearing the Datastore (not driverstore)?

As PK indicates, the error code gives us a clue of what it going on – either driver related or OS corruption in which case the repair install over the top is the recommended method to fix this.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady/Prudent patcher

So. Looks like I will have to wait for the update to fail again, then get all the information and post the results.

Thank you for your time 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

Try using “Control Panel/Security and Maintenance/Maintenance/View reliability history”. If this shows you an error on the day you attempted to install the update, then click on the line item under “Critical events” and this should show you something like an “Exception Code”.

Update: Late last night, whilst using Word my screen refreshed and I saw that all the shortcuts on my taskbar had disappeared. I had seen or read about this before and I needed to reboot. when Windows came back, there was a notification to the effect that I needed to “… check my drive for errors…Click here” which I did. Some 20 minutes later, another pop notification telling to “Restart to fix drive errors…”

When the machine got to the Lenovo start up logo there appeared at the bottom of the screen “Fixing (C:) ….” with many numbers and percentages. 30 minutes later the login screen appeared and everything seemed back to normal.

SSD or normal hard drive?  How old?  As that’s a sign of drive corruption or of a pending drive failure.

Hi. Normal(!) hard drive, about 7 years old. No issues apart from a deterioration of speed

Degradation of speed is a classic 1st symptom of a failing drive. Now with corruption on a 7-yr old drive, you really need to back up your data NOW, not later. After grabbing a good backup, download the drive mfr’s diagnostic utility if available  and give it a good test. Again, backup the drive before running tests!

Never Say Never

CyberSAR wrote “Now with corruption on a 7-yr old drive, you really need to back up your data NOW, not later.”

He’s spot on.  If you’ve never had a total data loss, you don’t want to go there.

Custom desktop Asus TUF X299 Mark 1 16GB RAM i7-7820X
      Four 27" 1080p screens 2 over 2.
      Laptop Clevo/Sager i7-9750H - 17.3" Full HD 1080p 144Hz, 16GB RAM Win 10 Pro 22H2

And buy yourself a Christmas present and upgrade to an SSD drive.

IM not so humble opinion, you cannot run even Windows 10 without having a SSD drive these days.

And buy yourself a Christmas present and upgrade to an SSD drive.

And if you’re thinking of cloning your old HDD to your new SSD, don’t do it.

Cloning copies sector by sector and will likely reproduce some or all the issues your HDD is having on the SSD.  Instead make an image backup, then restore the image to your new SSD.

For image backups I use Macrium Reflect but there are other choices.

Custom desktop Asus TUF X299 Mark 1 16GB RAM i7-7820X
          Four 27" 1080p screens 2 over 2.
          Laptop Clevo/Sager i7-9750H - 17.3" Full HD 1080p 144Hz, 16GB RAM Win 10 Pro 22H2

So. Looks like I will have to wait for the update to fail again, then get all the information and post the results.

Thank you for your time 🙂

Hi @Tony-H
      In Windows10Pro on one pc I have exact the same problem, the “KB0532189 updates resulting in error (0x80070005) that turns out to be a directory/file-rights problem” , and nothing of the earlier common used solutions I tried worked

I have found A solution, that works okay, so it seems —  see below ;
      but I am not sure to set these directory-rights from AppData back as they were before, or not. [So I keep a full iso of the systemdrive, before doing a repair-installation ‘over-the-top’  (as some of you call this prosaic) that finally ought to do the repair; though I just miss the time etc….]
      Do you or anyone else have any idea whats is right (or wrong)?

——–
      See the link below:

https://www.makeuseof.com/fix-the-windows-access-denied-error-0x80070005/

begin quote

1. Give Yourself Full Permissions

As mentioned above, since the error code 0x80070005 is an inability to access Windows programs, the first method to try and solve it is to give yourself full administrative permissions from the Settings. Here’s how:

1. Launch the Windows Run by hitting the Windows key + R, type in “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData” in it, and click OK. Enter the drive where your Windows is installed in place of C: and username in place of USERNAME.
      2. Right-click on AppData and open the Properties.
      3. In the next window, go to the security tab and click on Edit.
      4. Click on Add.
      5. Now, type Everyone, click on Check Names, and finally, hit OK.
      6. Click on Everyone and allow Full control under Permissions for everyone. Click on OK.

That’s it. Now reboot your system for the changes to take effect. You will not see the Windows update error 0x80070005 again.

end quote

After this reboot windows starts to install the missing updates, and takes a lot of time, and some (3) reboots.
      All seems fine.

Succes, Fred

* _ being 20 in the 70's was fun _ *

By design, access to the folders that constitute a user’s profile (e.g., “C:\Users\username\…”) is permitted to that user account, members of the Administrators group, and the SYSTEM account.  Granting the Everyone group Full Control for AppData and its subfolders means that anyone that can access the system has complete control over that folder tree.  It may have been a convenient, brute force solution to the Windows Update issue, but it also results in increased risk of unintended data access, data loss and a loss of privacy.

Thank you EricB,
          I reversed the rights on AppData.

Still is peculiar that windowsupdate did halt, is it another imperfect and untested update?

* _ being 20 in the 70's was fun _ *

Speaking offhand I don’t understand why Windows Update would require access to a user’s profile when installing a monthly cumulative update or which folders might have security descriptors that would be problematic.

So, following sound advice I am now the proud owner of a new Lenovo IdeaPad with a 512gb SSD. Currently very happy installing previous software! Even managed to install Microsoft Money 2005 (without the online facilities) which surprised me.😋

Viewing 7 reply threads
    Reply To: Windows Update KB5032189

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: