News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows update will not do anything

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions – Maintenance and backups Windows update will not do anything

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

satrow 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

JoeP
      AskWoody Plus

I have a couple of desktops that are Win 7 64. I am trying to do some selective windows updates and it just sits there. I have not installed any of the Roll up updates yet as I want to try and clear out the older ones first. I have let one of the desktops run overnight and it still shows downloading with no progress. For that one, I only have the .net updates selected which there are 7. Normally this process goes pretty quick. Any ideas?

• #1584510 Trash | Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

Have you looked at this “Sticky” in the W7 thread? http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/177385-How-to-fix-Windows-Update-slow-downloads

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #1584913 Trash | Reply

satrow
      AskWoody MVP

Are you certain that you’ve completed parts 1 and 2 correctly:

1. Start Windows Update and change the Setting to Never check for updates. Close the Windows Update window. Some members recommend you return the setting to what ever you used before this operation, after you complete Windows Update. IF you do leave the setting at NEVER, Windows Update will no longer be automatic. From this point onwards, you are responsible for starting and installing updates. We recommend you do that a few days following the 2nd Tuesday each month.

2. Restart your computer.

If you don’t stop WU from auto-starting, it will block any updates you want to get.

• #1584922 Trash | Reply

JoeP
        AskWoody Plus

Are you certain that you’ve completed parts 1 and 2 correctly:

If you don’t stop WU from auto-starting, it will block any updates you want to get.

Thanks,
        I did all that already. WU is on “Never” and I restarted it. Am I missing something else?
        JP

• #1584926 Trash | Reply

satrow
      AskWoody MVP

Perhaps some other prerequisite is missing, try the Dalai/krelay method: http://wu.krelay.de/en/

• #1584928 Trash | Reply

WSSudo
      Subscriber

The older updates will need to be superseded by newer ones first but you can run Disk Cleanup as an admin which will clean out any already superseded updates.

Download the .NET Framework Repair Tool and leave it running while trying the .NET updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Sometimes it works – sometimes it doesn’t but see if they will install with your antivirus program disabled as well.

• #1585000 Trash | Reply

JoeP
        AskWoody Plus

The older updates will need to be superseded by newer ones first but you can run Disk Cleanup as an admin which will clean out any already superseded updates.

Download the .NET Framework Repair Tool and leave it running while trying the .NET updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Sometimes it works – sometimes it doesn’t but see if they will install with your antivirus program disabled as well.

So I figured out the issue. On the Windows update settings page there are two other options that need to be unchecked. Microsoft Update and Software Notifications. These two boxes were checked. Once I unchecked them, everything downloaded and installed correctly. I had already selected Never check for updates but missed those two below that.

• #1585002 Trash | Reply

WSSudo
      Subscriber

I’ll have to check those settings on my Win 7 laptop, but glad you found a workaround.

• #1585007 Trash | Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

I’m having no problems with WU and this is how mine are set.
      46055-WU-settings

Attachments:
      • #1585009 Trash | Reply

WSSudo
        Subscriber

Well you won’t get any with them set to Never :lol

• #1585011 Trash | Reply

CADesertRat
          AskWoody Plus

Well you won’t get any with them set to Never :lol

Hmmm, good point, maybe that’s why I don’t have any trouble :o: :rolleyes:

• #1589417 Trash | Reply

JoeP
            AskWoody Plus

So unfortunately, I am back on this thread. I have one last desktop that is being stubborn and will not load either 3172605 or 3020369. I have been to all of the links listed above and no joy. I followed the instructions from MS to the letter and still get the same thing. “Windows update standalone installer” “searching for updates.” I have not changed the WU from Never on this computer for quite some time and I need to get it updated. I even tried creating a new Administrator account and got the same result. Any other ideas? I am scratching my head and a few other areas as well…

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows update will not do anything

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.