Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows update: Your device is at risk notice

Posted on Zaphyrus Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows update: Your device is at risk notice

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 1 month ago.

• Author

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

So I borrowed a computer at a friend’s house, and I wanted to know which windows 10 version he had (just out of curiosity  and he had 1709 btw)  and I noticed that there was this red notification in his windows update window so my question is : Is this message normal when you haven’t updated in a while or its something wrong with its windows update?

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
      • This topic was modified 1 month ago by  Zaphyrus.
    • #233856 Reply

anonymous

What does it look like? There is this Microsoft answers forum post. Does it have an exclamation point as described on that page?

• #233865 Reply

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

like this

• #233875 Reply

anonymous

Yes that is what was was described in the Answers thread, it is from Windows itself. If your friend has chosen not to update the computer, then do not worry about the warning too much. If the friend needs to update and cannot, we can help said friend. Surely one of us can point out the download known safe service stack and cumulative updates.

However the friend will have to patch something, if there are any zero-day and other timely exploits for Flash player. Mr. Natural’s advice is good. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #233921 Reply

Zaphyrus
          AskWoody Lounger

Thank you, yeah, my friend don’t plan to update since he is planning of trashing his computer for another one.

• #233870 Reply

Mr. Natural
      AskWoody Lounger

Make sure time and date is correct on the pc and run troubleshoot on windows update. Type troubleshoot in the cortana box.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #233909 Reply

Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

It seems to be a notification of Microsoft, thanks Mr.Natural.

• #233972 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

I have that icon on my 1803 laptop because the network is set to metered. No chance of me following the advice anytime soon!

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows update: Your device is at risk notice

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.