News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows updates hassle

Posted on Zaphyrus Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Windows updates hassle

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  bbearren 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

So lately I have been thinking about the patching issues that Windows 10 has had So I been thinking that if only being unpatched was an option,

sadly, hackers and virus makers are outside just waiting for the chance…..

So I wanted to ask, if net security wasn’t an issue,  would you patch your stable computer?

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
    • #1983960 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Of course not! If it ain’t broke…

cheers, Paul

• #1983961 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Define “stable”?

In this situation I prefer to read the patch release notes very carefully – I very much would prefer to install patches that fix important things. Like potential data corruption in case of hardware problems and such, for hardware that exists in the specific environment. So, patch the test environment and rerun stability tests, then if it passes that, queue the patch bundle for the scheduled service break for the high-availability hardware in production…

So, this doesn’t apply to Windows 10 at all – haven’t seen a properly stable version of that yet (no examples of even 3 months of continuous uptime without problems), and also haven’t seen selective patches or detailed release notes.

• #1984004 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Case in point, thing like these I would consider as candidates to evaluate, test and potentially patch after reading detailed notes:

• Addresses an issue that causes applications that utilize change notifications on named pipes to have a kernel mode memory leak of input and output (I/O) Request Packet (IRP) objects.
        • Addresses an issue that might cause error 0x1E, 0xA, or 0x50 to occur during a block cloning operation on an Resilient File System (ReFS) volume because of a race condition.
        • Addresses an issue that may cause error 0x50 to occur when a backup operation is being performed.

And these I wouldn’t bother with:

• Updates time zone information for Norfolk Island, Australia.
        • Updates time zone information for the Fiji Islands.
        • Addresses an issue with evaluating the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem to help ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows.

(All examples from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4520062 )

But, as stated, Windows 10 isn’t a stable enough system to bother… I mean, really, that’s supposed to be a “non-security” update and it does things like plugs memory leaks, fixes filesystem race conditions, keeps certain kinds of networking applications from failing after a given time, … sheesh.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #1984020 Reply

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Sorry maybe little off-topic, by I really do not understand vague attitude like this:

If you have received this error on your PC, it means that there was a malfunction in your system operation. … The immediate cause of the “error code 0x0” error is a failure to correctly run one of its normal operations by a system or application component.
          I consider people on this forum as highly interlligent and experienced. But does somebody REALLY know what to do if you see for example error code above? Does it really say how to repair it? Does it mean I have to buy new PC? 🙂
          If you google it, there is answer hosted on microsoft advising to run SFC. I mean.. Really? that should do the job? SFC never solved my problem, just told me that there are errors and SFC cant repair them.
          If there is no malfunction, I would never patch PC.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
          --- Thomas A. Edison

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  doriel.
    • #1984097 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Always.

I check for updates almost daily.  For me, Windows 10 is the most stable and efficient OS Microsoft has produced to date.  I have not had any of the update issues that are discussed on AskWoody.  I don’t have blue screens, black screens, failures to boot.

I’ve never had an update interrupt my day, my hours of operation are honored by the OS.  I’ve never had an update pooch my machine.  In the early days I was dual-booting Windows 7 and Windows 10.  Windows 10 was noticeably faster.  I found myself spending most of my PC time in Windows 10, and so I abandoned Windows 7 completely.

I’m perpetually on MS-DEFCON 10, a Seeker.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
      "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #1984152 Reply

Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

I am happy to hear that, but remember never blindly install anything, there is a first time for everything    I prefer to know what is being installed in my computer.

also how old is your computer?  if its new  its natural you haven’t had any issues.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Zaphyrus.
    • #1984207 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I am happy to hear that, but remember never blindly install anything, there is a first time for everything I prefer to know what is being installed in my computer.

I’m not blindly installing anything.  I’m installing updates to Windows 10.  Should something go awry (and so far, nothing has), I have an image file never more than a week old I can restore in about 6 minutes and be right back to where I was.

also how old is your computer? if its new its natural you haven’t had any issues.

It isn’t new, and it’s DIY.  My motherboard and CPU are 2013 vintage, my drives are newer.  I have two SSHD’s, two SSD’s, one mSATA SSD and one M.2 nVME SSD in a PCIe slot adapter.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
      "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  bbearren.
      • #1984386 Reply

Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

and that’s why I recommend to wait to install patches so that something horrible that forces you to use that image  don’t happen.

I am sorry but I lost my trust in Microsoft, but I would love for people here to convice me to trust Microsoft again.

• #1984402 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

and that’s why I recommend to wait to install patches so that something horrible that forces you to use that image don’t happen.

Not gonna happen.  In all my tinkerin’ and finaglin’ with Windows for the past couple of decades, I have restored drive images hundreds, if not thousands of times, I have always ignored the recommendations of “experts”, and gone about things in my own way.  I’ve found it to be quite successful.  As a result I have been able to help lots of people with lots of different problems.

I have my system setup so that I can restore my OS drive image in less than 6 minutes and be logged in and running as if nothing has happened.  I have absolutely no fear of Windows updates or upgrades.

But again, in all my time with Windows 10 (which began as an insider before its release) I have not had isssues with updates or upgrades.  Period.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows updates hassle

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.