News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Updates on Office 2010

Posted on twinglestech Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Windows Updates on Office 2010

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  alphacharlie 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

twinglestech
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello, newbie here trying to understand our WSUS updates.

Currently we are running Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus (C2R). We also have MS Project 2010 installed on a handful of laptops and workstations. This month those computers show as needing KB4022209 and KB4011186 (Excel 2010 and Publisher 2010). I don’t even have Publisher installed. Are they necessary? We are very selective on the KBs we install.

We have primarily Dell Latitude laptops and Precision towers, with a handful of Surface Pro 4s in our environment. OS is Win10 Bld 1703 and 1709.

Kari

• #199084 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

KB 4022209 addresses a security vulnerability in Excel. Although the quote below applies to the .msi (persistent) version, and not C2R, I suspect that the fix is the same. C2R is not updated through Windows Update or the Catalog.

The MS page for KB 4022209 says this:

This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8246.

Be aware that the update in the Microsoft Download Center applies to the Microsoft Installer (.msi)-based edition of Office 2010. It doesn’t apply to the Office 2010 Click-to-Run editions, such as Microsoft Office 365 Home

• #199095 Reply

twinglestech
      AskWoody Lounger

KB 4022209 addresses a security vulnerability in Excel. Although the quote below applies to the .msi (persistent) version, and not C2R, I suspect that the fix is the same. C2R is not updated through Windows Update or the Catalog. The MS page for KB 4022209 says this:

This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8246. Be aware that the update in the Microsoft Download Center applies to the Microsoft Installer (.msi)-based edition of Office 2010. It doesn’t apply to the Office 2010 Click-to-Run editions, such as Microsoft Office 365 Home

My O365 C2R updates automatically. I do not have a full version of Office 2010 installed, just stand-alone Project. I don’t understand why the updates are relevant.

Sorry, my boss keeps asking why these are showing as needed and I can’t provide a valid explanation either way.

Kari

• #199099 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

The valid reason is the vulnerability.

• #215720 Reply

alphacharlie
      AskWoody Plus

Windows Update has stopped offering patches for Office 2010 on my Win 7 x64 system. It worked fine for years. This PC has not been updated since Dec 2018, waiting for Woody to raise the Defcon level. So, now I see about 15 “important” updates, but none are related to Office 2010.

I am able to open Word and PPT without any error messages.

The Change Settings in WU does not mention Office (see attached JPG)

Where should I look to re-set this option?
      Thank you.

Attachments:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Updates on Office 2010

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel