Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows updates #s 1-13 Screenshot

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches Windows updates #s 1-13 Screenshot

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kirsty 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Sparky
      AskWoody Lounger

Windows updates numbered 1 to 13 Screenshot which ones do I need to install?
      Example:
      1 thru 4 – NO
      5,6 – NO
      So on so forth.

Windows-updates

I’m a Group A groupie.

Any Help Appreciated,

Thank You
      Sparky

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • #110087 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody Lounger

MS-DEFCON  1  is currently showing at the top of the page. That means it isn’t time to update in April, yet. Not for Group A, or Group B. Yes, Microsoft has released the patches… but most here are waiting for the MS-DEFCON to show it is okay. You can click on the MS-DEFCON System button for a full explanation of how it works. When it is okay, Woody will post on his Blog (click Home to check). That post will include links to instructions on how and what to update. The instructions are very good, and step by step… be patient, and they will show up… :).

See https://www.askwoody.com/2017/ms-defcon-3-time-to-get-windows-and-office-patched-but-watch-out-for-these-buggy-critters/  as that was the last time Woody cleared updating. Wishing you the best… 🙂

People are saying that Microsoft Word should be updated now, rather than later, because of exploits, but none of those are showing on your list, so maybe you aren’t running Office?

Elly-

Win 7 Home, Group B

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  Elly.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #110192 Reply

Sparky
        AskWoody Lounger

I no not to install the April 2017 updates.
        What I was really wondering about is:
        #11, March 2017 preview monthly rollup kb4012218
        #13, Windows malicious software removal tool April 2017 kb890830.
        Would it be OK to install those?

“People are saying that Microsoft Word should be updated now, rather than later, because of exploits, but none of those are showing on your list, so maybe you aren’t running Office?
        I have MS Office starter 2010 click to run, v. 14.0.7157.5000,
        MS Office Word starter 2010 is set to auto update.
        I don’t know if this applies to WU and or the non click to run Office.

Thanks for the reply,

Sparky

• #110193 Reply

PKCano
          AskWoody MVP

Answers:
          You DO NOT ever want to install the UNCHECKED Optional Preview for any month. The Preview is there for testers, not for the average User.
          YES you need to update Office – whatever version you have – NOW.
          KB890830 is OK to install.
          Yes, you need either the March 2017 Security Monthly Quality ROLLUP or the March 2017 Security Only Quality UPDATE. Wait to install the April update until the DEFCON number is 3 or above.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  PKCano.
          • This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  PKCano.
          • #110197 Reply

Sparky
            AskWoody Lounger

MS Office Word starter 2010 is set to automatically update.
            I have WU set on:
            “check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them”
            Will MS Office Word starter 2010 still automatically update, by passing the WU setting  ?
            Or do I have to update MS Office Word starter 2010 through WU ?

Thanks,

Sparky

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Sparky.
            • #110198 Reply

PKCano
              AskWoody MVP

If you are offered the Office updates through WU, go ahead and install them.

• #110654 Reply

Sparky
              AskWoody Lounger

Would you know where to find the latest Word starter 2010 updates?

What have is: Click-to-Run v 14.0.7160.5000
              MS Office Word starter 2010 (14.0.7157.5000) SP2 MSO (14.0.7158.5000) (32 bit)

Thanks,

• #110656 Reply

Kirsty
              AskWoody MVP

This page appears to contain the information you require. It appears your version is about 18 months old.

As I understand Click to Run, if it has not been disabled from updating itself, it effectively does its own updating. Maybe the Task Scheduler task has been disabled, or Services has stopped the service from running. If so, it might be quicker/simpler to turn them on to do an update, then turn them off again.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows updates #s 1-13 Screenshot

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.